No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington FT1 tankard - non commemorative  (Read 3375 times)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Dartington FT1 tankard - non commemorative
« on: September 16, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
I can't remember seeing one of these tankards before which did not have a commemorative seal but is that because I have not been paying attention? :D

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Dartington FT1 tankard - non commemorative
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 11:08:47 AM »
I thought I have one, but now I'm not sure the base is quite the same.
My base is a single, round-profiled projection, while yours looks as if there is a part-straight profile. The body of mine also looks a bit wider than yours in comparison...... pic later.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
If it helps John a few commemorative ones here to compare shape the handles look a little higher placed?

https://picasaweb.google.com/107067405711297858658/DartingtonCommemaritiveTankards#5536802893761972098

Chris :sun:

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 02:40:26 PM »
The handles on that group of yours seem to vary a bit Chris too, 'tis to be expected on hand made items like these.

Sue that thick base is definitely not round in cross section, it flairs out below the handle and then runs vertical.
Must be next to impossible to tip these over accidentally....I feel a 'road test' may be necessary. :cheers:

John

Offline Nemmie

• Members
    • South East England
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
I have seen one without a commemorative seal. Several times because it has been sitting in one of my local charity shops waiting for someone to take it home.

“Anyone who stops learning is old, whether at twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young.”
― Henry Ford

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 02:55:04 PM »
That's interesting Nemmie, they were probably made as standard production without any commemorative seal then.

Any more examples out there?

John

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »
Looks all wrong for an FT1 to me. The base is too narrow, the top curves in, and the handle is too low

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:56:29 PM »
The top does not curve in Christine, I can only presume that is an optical illusion.
Don't understand the base too narrow bit at all. Dimensions if anyone has any to compare with are: diameter at top 68mm, diameter at base 100mm, height 120mm.
Have a look at the handles on the group in Chris's gallery Christine, each one is different from the next.

John

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »
Hi John, have a boxed Orient Express one height 120mm across rim 68mm and base 100mm
A boxed  Caxton one with no date on and not numbered and the box says FT164 ale tankard not sure without looking it up if it's not the original box? again same dimensions.

Chris

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Thanks Chris, so the sizes are spot on. The FT164 tankards are a completely different shape so assume your tankard and box do not belong but would still like to see a photo of a 164 plus box... (it's the nerd in me).

By chance I handled a commemorative FT1 today and the only difference was that commemorative plaque.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand