No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Murano Bird  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Large Murano Bird
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:19:04 PM »
Today was a semi-annual extravaganza in our area & I picked up this large 12" height, 20" length Murano bird...doesn't appear to be a Rooster of any type & the tail looks a bit like a Peacock. It has gold in the beak & head area & the color is a bit wild shading from Ruby to Violet & seems almost Dicromatic in the tail. Base has a blown polished pontil & a flower & leaf configuration. Label was partially intact, but non-discript. I know these were inported & was wondering if anyone recognized it? Thanks, Ken

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Large Murano Bird
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »
Ken, this is another difficult one. I would call it a pheasant. It looks like it has a double crest. I've seen the label a lot. The lettering and color reminds me of the strip form Cenedese label used in the 1980s, but I've never been able to find out. So without some further evidence, I just consider it generic. The pheasant is a mix of styles. The slant of the base reminds me of the Salviati pheasants, but the leaves are all wrong and they didn't have flowers on the ones I've seen. The wings on back remind me of AVeM, as do the colors. Several companies did the double crest, so it doesn't help much. My own feelings pull me toward AVeM, but it is just a feeling. It could just as easily be Salviati, Cenedese, or some unknown company. I do not think it is Barbini or any of the Segusos.

Something I've wondered for many of the animals is if they were done under contract by some other place. So many of the birds and animals look alike among the companies. This just complicates attributions further, so I try to push the thought out of my mind quickly.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Re: Large Murano Bird
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »
Thanks Anita, I appreciate you looking. Frustrating when it comes to these bird figures I know. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand