No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: What are the main differences between a good quality and a poor quality PW?  (Read 4323 times)

Offline Derek

• Members
Re: What are the main differences between a good quality and a poor quality PW?
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »
Always a good idea to phone before setting out just in case they are not open for any reason !  For instance Caithness are just about to shut down for their 2 week annual maintenance.

Peter Holmes has a good gallery so do Caithness.

Best regards

Derek

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
I hope you have agood experience but also hope you are not completely converted. Your glass interests are always interesting posts.

I am not a paperweight collector and sort of defaulted into researching the area because of the Ysart connection. But as one of my main interest is in how glass is put together and the people that do it - to ignore paperweights would be a major faux pas, anyone can knock out a blown decanter with applied bits and bobs etcetera after ten years training or so... whereas you can learn to make a perfect weight in half the time yet.... there is probably no other field in glassworking, well perhaps lampworking, and maybe graal, where the artist can express 'anything'. Whilst millefiori paperweights, seen one you have seen them all, might seem dull by comparison to the work of artists such as Paul Stankard and Allan Scott... on closer examination there is a lot to be discovered. Andy Dohan's book will open up that world. It is a world of fine art as well as cheap tourist tat and of course has the longest history. Then you have Scottish Pride in being equal to America in fully exploiting this art form... The US is streets ahead in art weights but more and more UK artists include the odd weight in their repertoire and these are a rich area for discovery. Then there is the phenomenon of the 'Modern' weight devised largely by Colin Terris and Peter Holmes at Caithness. Produced in huge numbers as they were often easier to produce than millefiori but in this area you will again find pathfinding in application of new ideas in 3 dimensional design.

Anyway got into a bit of a waffle there  :P

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 10:57:26 PM »
Nancy, an important point is to judge for yourself whether something is "quality". Just like any other item, you will come across sellers of paperweights who describe them as "superb", "top quality", "stunning", "never seen anything like it before", etc. etc. etc. Don't believe a word of it until you have checked it for yourself.

But just like everything else, until you have seen the really stunning items, you will only have lesser quality examples to judge by. And browsing books and websites will only give an impression of what quality a weight may have. It's only when you see it close up in reality that you can make a true judgement. And even then your own personality and perceptions will have their effect.

Personally, I'd rather have a well made Paul Ysart millefiori weight than a Stankard floral item, even though the Stankard piece usually will, with its true-to-life flameworked flower, and its pristine dome clarity, have a much higher quality of workmanship and visual wonder than any Ysart weight. ;D
KevinH

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
There are always plenty of weights to see at the forth coming Cambridge Glass Fair.
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 10:46:40 AM »
And why no mention of Mike Hunter in Selkirk, pray?   :thud:
There should be films of him demonstrating his paperweight making skills at the Scottish Conference last year on Frank's site......
I think cambridge is well out of Nancy's travel range, as it is mine.
It's at the other end of the country, in the middle of nowhere, with no public transport available.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline wolkenreb

• Members
    • Edinburgh, UK
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 03:48:24 PM »
As always the GMB folk have been generous with their time, comments and advice.  Thank you so much.

I don't intend to start collecting paperweights - my interest has been piqued by some of the postings here and I wanted to know more.  I do an awful lot of charity shop browsing and have never taken a second look at paperweights because I thought they were all 'much of a muchness'.  Of course I now realise how wrong I was.  In future I intend to take a good look and maybe buy one or two to keep as references.

The videos I watched (not confined to just paperweight making) were just fantastic, and made me wish I had taken up glass making as a career, instead of treading the admin mill.  In fact, I wish I'd been a maker of something, anything, other than piles of paper.  Och well, that's life.  Perhaps some glass makers wish they opted for a desk job!

Anyway, thank you all for your valuable input!  In the meantime my glass tastes seem to be drawn towards older, functional pressed glass and I'm building up a bit of knowledge in that area little by little. :)
Nancy

Offline scimiman

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 04:14:23 PM »
I bet you fine one you just cant resist and hey presto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your suddenly a collector. :hiclp:
Happy hunting
Mike www.abfabglass.co.uk

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2011, 04:26:48 PM »
I always think of them being used as weapons when somebody describes them as stunning.......

My OH thinks they have a use - chucking them at Vasart!  >:D

I do actually have a fair few of the things, but I only admit to 2 of them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2011, 07:18:07 PM »
With Mike you get the added bonus of great glass art too! Yes videos and stills are on SG site. There is a lot of other post conference material to go on site as well but personal matters got in the way.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand