Author Topic: Isle of Wight Studio Glass Stoppered Perfume Bottle... Any Info Appreciated  (Read 1207 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Recently purchased this Isle of Wight Studio stoppered perfume bottle. Measures 5.5 inches wide and approx 4 inches tall and has the flame pontil mark.

Just thinking about the date and pattern of this piece. I guess the flame pontil would date it to sometime in the 70s, however am I correct in thinking that this is a relatively earlyish pattern and could date from sometime between 1973 and 1975. Assuming if it was any earlier, it would have either a broken pontil mark or the coachbolt mark.

The paper label has come off, I've attached a separate photo below. Very similar to the label in Mark Hill's book although  doesn't have the England wording. I purchased the bottle from a collector in the states so don't know if this has a bearing on the omission of the 'England' wording.

Any thoughts / confirmations on date and pattern greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

:sun:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
Re: Isle of Wight Studio Glass Stoppered Perfume Bottle... Any Info Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Ummm. Obviously, it was made in the period the flame pontil mark was used....

possibly, but this is pure conjecture, in the earlier period before this design got dropped - not that it ever was established.

Other thoughts Greg? - it's pink and hideous, keep it away from me!   :thud:
Cheers, Sue (M)

Three Wise Women would have asked for directions, arrived on time, delivered the baby, cleaned the stables and made a casserole...

And there WOULD have been peace on earth.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
Thanks for you thoughts Sue.

I was interested in the date and duration this could have been produced primarily as you mention this design was never an established one at Isle of Wight Studio Glass. As I don't generally collect Isle of Wight Glass my knowledge of how long this particular design would have run is somewhat limited. I was guessing correctly or incorrectly that the bottle was likely to be pre 1975 in date as after this date most pieces produced would have fallen into a specific range of one kind or another.

Perhaps your reaction to the colour explains why it never made it as an established range. ;) I must confess I quite like it, so maybe its just like Marmite.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
1974 probably, pink swirls on it's own doesn't seem to have been made for very long (I vaguely remember Ron saying 1974). The obviously earlier bits that I have with a paper label also have England omitted.

It is an 'established' design just not in a colour that was used for long.

Sue is just fibbing, she's using reverse psychology - she wants it for her birthday! >:D

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the date and label John, much appreciated.

Greg

:)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
Again, Ron Wheeler might have more definitive info. Pink and blue swirls did not turn out to be that popular either, running from 1974-1976. It was tortoiseshell that was most successful running for almost ten years - brown was big in the seventies....

John

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
It was tortoiseshell that was most successful running for almost ten years - brown was big in the seventies....

It went so well with avocado green and harvest gold  :thud:  :ooh:

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I like avocado green. I always have.  :smg:

perhaps not for bathroom furniture, though.

Does the stink puff in your bottle turn green in a different light?

Weird observation in the pink and blue range (I don't have any any more - got rid!) is that in some of them - not all - that the pink colour does a dichroic thing.
No, I don't want it for my birthday.  :P
Cheers, Sue (M)

Three Wise Women would have asked for directions, arrived on time, delivered the baby, cleaned the stables and made a casserole...

And there WOULD have been peace on earth.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
No real change to the colour on this one.

I do have vague memories of growing up with an avocado bathroom suite in the seventies, I thought I had erased it from my memory. They do say fashions quite often run in cycles, but lets hope not in this case.

;)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
Sue may hate pink but I don't!  I think this piece is fabulous.

I've not managed to get any pink swirl bits yet so I'm quite green yet again - Greg you seem to have a knack of upsetting my natural English Rose complexion (no need for you to mention my thorny bits John) and turning me into a Shrek lookalike.

Suzy xxx

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand