No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Isle of Wight Studio Glass Stoppered Perfume Bottle... Any Info Appreciated  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Recently purchased this Isle of Wight Studio stoppered perfume bottle. Measures 5.5 inches wide and approx 4 inches tall and has the flame pontil mark.

Just thinking about the date and pattern of this piece. I guess the flame pontil would date it to sometime in the 70s, however am I correct in thinking that this is a relatively earlyish pattern and could date from sometime between 1973 and 1975. Assuming if it was any earlier, it would have either a broken pontil mark or the coachbolt mark.

The paper label has come off, I've attached a separate photo below. Very similar to the label in Mark Hill's book although  doesn't have the England wording. I purchased the bottle from a collector in the states so don't know if this has a bearing on the omission of the 'England' wording.

Any thoughts / confirmations on date and pattern greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Greg

:sun:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Isle of Wight Studio Glass Stoppered Perfume Bottle... Any Info Appreciated
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:45:23 PM »
Ummm. Obviously, it was made in the period the flame pontil mark was used....

possibly, but this is pure conjecture, in the earlier period before this design got dropped - not that it ever was established.

Other thoughts Greg? - it's pink and hideous, keep it away from me!   :thud:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 07:00:41 PM »
Thanks for you thoughts Sue.

I was interested in the date and duration this could have been produced primarily as you mention this design was never an established one at Isle of Wight Studio Glass. As I don't generally collect Isle of Wight Glass my knowledge of how long this particular design would have run is somewhat limited. I was guessing correctly or incorrectly that the bottle was likely to be pre 1975 in date as after this date most pieces produced would have fallen into a specific range of one kind or another.

Perhaps your reaction to the colour explains why it never made it as an established range. ;) I must confess I quite like it, so maybe its just like Marmite.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:08:54 PM »
1974 probably, pink swirls on it's own doesn't seem to have been made for very long (I vaguely remember Ron saying 1974). The obviously earlier bits that I have with a paper label also have England omitted.

It is an 'established' design just not in a colour that was used for long.

Sue is just fibbing, she's using reverse psychology - she wants it for her birthday! >:D

John

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts on the date and label John, much appreciated.

Greg

:)

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:08:23 PM »
Again, Ron Wheeler might have more definitive info. Pink and blue swirls did not turn out to be that popular either, running from 1974-1976. It was tortoiseshell that was most successful running for almost ten years - brown was big in the seventies....

John

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:03:23 AM »
It was tortoiseshell that was most successful running for almost ten years - brown was big in the seventies....

It went so well with avocado green and harvest gold  :thud:  :ooh:

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:04:13 AM »
I like avocado green. I always have.  :smg:

perhaps not for bathroom furniture, though.

Does the stink puff in your bottle turn green in a different light?

Weird observation in the pink and blue range (I don't have any any more - got rid!) is that in some of them - not all - that the pink colour does a dichroic thing.
No, I don't want it for my birthday.  :P
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
No real change to the colour on this one.

I do have vague memories of growing up with an avocado bathroom suite in the seventies, I thought I had erased it from my memory. They do say fashions quite often run in cycles, but lets hope not in this case.

;)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 12:10:19 PM »
Sue may hate pink but I don't!  I think this piece is fabulous.

I've not managed to get any pink swirl bits yet so I'm quite green yet again - Greg you seem to have a knack of upsetting my natural English Rose complexion (no need for you to mention my thorny bits John) and turning me into a Shrek lookalike.

Suzy xxx

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand