No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this a real Sautner piece?  (Read 5329 times)

Offline mildawg

• Members
Is this a real Sautner piece?
« on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
Anyone have any thoughts?  I contacted the lady for a few questions and did not get a comfortable feeling.  Smoking deal if it is real.  Also are all his pieces signed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250890273163?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: Is this a real Sautner piece?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 09:17:35 PM »

I'd focus hard on the 'not sure if it is some kind of resin or plastic' comment, if I was bidding! But it could just be a bargain.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 09:25:53 PM »
That was my major concern and a question I asked.  They felt fairly certain it was not glass.  I suspect though most not familar with this technique may feel it would not be glass.  Looking at that first pic, it looks like the brown "vines" have a gap at about the 5 o'clock mark.  Additional pics that were sent were small...maybe they didn't know how to work a camera?  Or maybe they didn't want them large.  Glad i went with my gut on this one....I think I am anyway?

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:08 PM »
So, which way did you go?  Did you buy it or not?  I don't think it is by Sautner and I'm glad I didn't see it.  I would have been tempted.  Take a look at the 1989 PCA annual for pieces of his work to compare.  He put a lot more detail into his work.  And for a three color design, he would have done something really distinctive.  That's my opinion, anyway.

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information
http://paperweights.com

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 11:10:31 PM »
Tempted I was, but I passed.  Well actually I was going to pass but put in a "small" bid at the end.  But by the time I hit the enter button it was already past my bid.  I was willing to take gamble for a few hundred..not a thousand though.  

I found one very similar in the selman fall 2010 auction (lot 190)...looks more detailed and the lattice is further from the clear in all Sautners work I've seen.  The extra pics I asked for didn't confirm anything I was looking for but they were really to small and not pics of what I really wanted.  Who knows, maybe someone did get a nice deal, but I don't think so.

http://www.selman.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/004411.4.3641734765220924840

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 01:02:42 AM »
My first opinion was wrong.  Based on lot 190 in Selman's Fall 2010 auction, I think it is a Sautner.  It sold for $6,000 in the Selman auction.  It is a shame that the eBay pictures don't show all the detail.   :huh:

Check out my web page for Glass paperweights, Paperweight Books, and Paperweight Information

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
 :spls:
Plastic or resin should float, while glass should sink in a bowl of water. 
It should be easy enough to test that.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 01:39:12 PM »
 :pb:

I have just been corrected, very kindly and politely, by Wuff, who knows a great deal more about Physics than I do.
He says:-

"....depends on the composition - there are resins/plastics (e.g. perspex) with relative densities larger than unity - so they wouldn't float, just sink a lot slower."

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline mildawg

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 03:30:37 PM »
They were saying the clear was glass, the branches and flowers were "resin".  The reasons I don't think it is (and not only because I want to believe I didn't pass up a bargain) is comparing to the selman one and one on Leo Kaplan is the branhes appear further from the clear and the post are more pronounced.  I am not sure of this but I also think the outer circle, if you will, is solid and does not have openings as seen in the one on ebay.  And lastly, fairly certain his are all signed, no signature was found on this one.  I had myself convinced early on it was real, but on further research I started questioning myself.  Maybe the winner will stuble across this and let us know.  Plus it looks like there is a crack between the 12 and 1 position one the bottom.

http://leokaplanltd.1stdibs.com/store/furniture_item_detail.php?id=408836

Offline paperweights

• Members
    • Allan's Paperweights
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:01:22 PM »
I think you are splitting hairs.  Barry Sautner did marvelous work and each piece was a little different. 

As for his signature, it is often hard to find.  I have a Barry Sautner umbilical man that I won as a door prize at the 1995 PCA meeting in Springfield, MA.  It is signed on the bottom of one foot.  It would be very easy to miss that. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand