No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Quiz Time ....... (calling all PW People) - ID = Konstglashyttan Urshult  (Read 5954 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Quiz Time ....... (calling all PW People)
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
Rose I looked up Urshult on Google Map & Web.  The town is just down the road from Ronneby and is in Smaland.  In title of your piece Konstglasshyttan = Art Glass Manufacturer (as far as I can determine).  So it seems likely that there was a small glassworks in Urshult at some stage but finding out when they existed may be a hassle.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_glasbruk_i_Sverige  shows a list of Swedish Factories, and near the bottom  "Urshults glasbruk    1965      1970" would indicate that the factory only operated for five years - assuming it is the relevant one.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2011, 05:32:57 PM »
Rose I looked up Urshult on Google Map & Web.  The town is just down the road from Ronneby and is in Smaland.  In title of your piece Konstglasshyttan = Art Glass Manufacturer (as far as I can determine).  So it seems likely that there was a small glassworks in Urshult at some stage but finding out when they existed may be a hassle.

http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lista_%C3%B6ver_glasbruk_i_Sverige  shows a list of Swedish Factories, and near the bottom  "Urshults glasbruk    1965      1970" would indicate that the factory only operated for five years - assuming it is the relevant one.

Ross

Thanks for that info.......you have been working hard -- as everybody has!!

I can not read any of those links  :spls:  .  Can you put the link in for the translation?  Then when you click on the  "Urshults glasbruk    1965      1970"  what does that say, as I can not read that either......lol.....as you said, assuming it is the right one

Also I am confused as I can find other things that say the same thing BUT "are" a label only.  I found this:

Mod: Links to clicksnipwow removed as site is no longer connected to glass. Please visit http://chataboutdg.com/forums/ and use the search function instead

which is a label ----- and it has like the same name.  But I find theses label on candlesticks, birds, and such......No Paperweights at all.  Plus those only have label on them, and None of them are Signed.     Not knowing the *Region there* I am Not sure IF those (labels)  are even related to my item here????    So I am confused......Is that company related or not -- since a lot of the info is in different language than English ??

If that is the company that you found and they did only exist for 5 years (1965 - 1970 ) Surely they made glass during those years.  There HAS to be another piece out there somewhere (you would think ????).  This is the TinkerNet world now.  You bring the world to your fingertips.

Surely, I have Not found the only *such* one early piece that is signed by this company in a *Thrift Store* ??  That is weird .... :o

Also Note my Error (of spelling in the above post) -- I spelled  Urshutt, instead of URSHULT

Ahhhh........................I will just post the bottom of the PW for the answer.

I *think* this Signature says: KONST GLASHYTTAN URSHULT - 65 - SWEDEN....after taking a month to try to figure it out -- but I am not sure.  What I can see of the letters, it does seem to match that. 

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2011, 05:53:54 PM »
I'm not sure what you're worrying about Rose. You have your answer and a very early piece from Urshults glasbruk. perhaps before they had labels printed. Some of those items might just be marked as well as having a label. The Wikipedia link just goes to some Polish text, which doesn't seem very relevant as far as I can tell.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:38 PM »
There HAS to be another piece out there somewhere (you would think ????).  This is the TinkerNet world now.  You bring the world to your fingertips.
Rose, the internet only has information relating to data that has been fed into it. And it is quite likely that even if there are some other examples of signed weights like yours, the data about them is simply not on the interweb.

I have examples of possibly unique (in the sense of "the only one known so far") Scottish paperweights. The makers are very well known but it seems there is no other information publicly available about other weights like mine! It really does happen. ;D
KevinH

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 10:54:05 PM »
Rose if you are having trouble with getting a link to start try this procedure.  First, the link should appear as blue - or at least different colour.  Second, left click on it to see if it will activate.  Three, if it does not, try holding down the 'CTRL' key and clicking on it - for some reason the wonders of Microsoft sometimes require being booted into action.  Fourth, if that does not work try right clicking which should give you a drop down menu which you then select 'OPEN HYPERLINK' from.

Hopefully one of those will get the link into action and change  :spls: to   ;D

Ross

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:33:50 PM »
Rose if you are having trouble with getting a link to start try this procedure........
Hopefully one of those will get the link into action and change  :spls: to   ;D

Ross

@ Thanks Ross:

Oh I can get to the link, no problem -- I just can't read the language (this English Speaking Girl  ;D ) and what else it says -- as it is not in English.  That's all.  So I can get to the link -- just not sure what the language is there........I tried to go to Babel to translate it, but that did not work.

.....and by the way, that link you found there is *worth* keeping, to be Bookmarked for those interested.  I hope GMB will keep that link somewhere for a reference.

@ Kev H and Lustrousstone: Thanks too. 

I guess I just have a hard time thinking that some kind of info (or other examples) would not be on the Net.  Sure, the Net is only as good as Info fed into it.....but because when I found this piece I had no idea what it said.  But Thanks to the Internet and being able to read the first 8 letters or so of the Signature -- the Net help me to figure out the rest.  Otherwise, if I could not have made out some letters....or even if I did .... without the Internet, I would have been still lost.  Maybe I take it for granted that the Internet has *ALL* info. 

Kinda Honored to have found this piece at the thrift store, and lucked out with it being an early piece.  Maybe in time some more info will come to be now, or someone will be doing some research on it.  One can only Hope  :X:

@ Alexander -- Thanks there!  You Did so good to recognize it as Sweden.  You have Super Eyes!!  8)  :thup:

I have examples of possibly unique (in the sense of "the only one known so far") Scottish paperweights. The makers are very well known but it seems there is no other information publicly available about other weights like mine! It really does happen. ;D

Just Wow !!

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 06:47:31 AM »
Ah, Rose, I did not realise what you meant.  :-[  It is of course in Swedish - suprise, surprise.  8)
  It is in fact from Swedish Wikipedia so we might be a little careful about its accuracy.
Perhaps you know someone who can translate the headings and thrn we could post a modified list on the GMB !

Ross

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »
Thanks all for your hard work trying to help with this item!!  :kissy:

So be it -- I have an very early Paperweight piece of  KONST GLASHYTTAN URSHULT - 65 - SWEDEN  which is good, but too bad there is no info on this Glass makers history.  Thank God the bottom did have as much info on it as it did.  I Thank the maker still for that!!

On a Positive note -- As KevinH  said:  "Rose, the internet only has information relating to data that has been fed into it. And it is quite likely that even if there are some other examples of signed weights like yours, the data about them is simply not on the interweb.   I have examples of possibly unique (in the sense of "the only one known so far") Scottish paperweights. The makers are very well known but it seems there is no other information publicly available about other weights like mine! It really does happen." 

So therefore, I guess now if anyone else in the Internet World now googles that same info (suggesting there are other PW signed like mine) out there in the World.  This info that has now been fed here on GMB will serve as a resource possibly for someone else -- and direct them *here* to the GMB. 

So that is a Good thing!!  :thup:

* Also the bottom has good wear on it -- and the snapped off pontil scar is quite rough (almost like a small hole) on the base.  Maybe that is why they only lasted 5 year ......lol.....Just kidding, of course  ;D  Thanks all !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand