No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Brierley Engraved Glasses c 1930's Possibly Keith Murray? Wishful Thinking :)  (Read 1393 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
 :)
These arrived in the post today sadly one was broken in three bits, When washed i spotted a
very faint Brierley mark it seems these marks were only used before they changed to Royal Brierley
after supplying the royal household?? Anyway i noticed when looking for the marks age range that,
Keith Murray was working in the 30's for them and wondered if there might be a chance he had a hand
in the design of these glasses any suggestions happily received :)
8 cm tall rim 6.1 cm base 4.5 cm BRIERLEY to base on its own.

Offline keith

• Members
The plain 'Brierley' mark seems to be a bit random through out the 20th century, the only time I've seen the Keith Murray signature it is usually with the S&W's mark but who knows ?  ;D ;D

Offline Paul S.

• Members
taking a completely uneducated guess, I'd suggest this one isn't from Murray  -  apparently he worked at S. & W. for seven years from 1932, if that helps at all.            I'm not sure when the name changed to Brierley, and as Keith mentions, it look to be the case that for those pieces that he was responsible for, then his name mostly accompanied the factory name.
This one looks too compact and tight for Murray - makes me think more of a Kny or Irene Stevens sort of decoration.

Offline nigelbenson

• Members
  • Previously posted using a different email address
    • British glass - mainly 20th ce
    • London, England
Not KM I'm afraid. The design is too fussy for his type of work IMHO.

The KM mark includes both S&W and Brierley as well as a facsimile signature, however drinking glasses are not usually marked. The decanter that goes with them would be.

Having said that, I've seen many more totally attributable pieces that have not been marked, than those that have. This could be because the shop that sold them wouldn't allow the origin to be marked on the items they sold. Liberty's were a good example of this, as were Lawley's (the china shop).

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
To add some information to the reference re the use of the name Royal Brierley in original post #

'When washed i spotted a
very faint Brierley mark it seems these marks were only used before they changed to Royal Brierley
after supplying the royal household
??
'

The history of Stevens and Williams is here in as much detail as possible date wise and name wise:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,58268.msg348362.html#msg348362

It seems from all the evidence available that Royal Brierley was not the name of the company at all until the 1980s and then it was actually renamed 'Royal Brierley Crystal Limited' .  Prior to that the company was Stevens and Williams or Stevens and Williams Ltd depending on the time periods.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand