No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Whitefriars C438 "Garland" 10oz Whisky Glasses puzzle  (Read 4985 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Whitefriars C438 "Garland" 10oz Whisky Glasses puzzle
« on: September 19, 2011, 04:33:32 PM »
Recently I bought a boxed set of Whitefriars C438 "Garland" sherries, glasses exactly as topic British? 1 + 6 cut decanter + glasses - ID = Whitefriars C438 Sherry Set - with box as per Hajdamach II plate 659 (and back endpaper) front left with printed label " 'GARLAND'/Six Sherries/Pattern No C438 ".   While I was buying these I asked the dealer if he had any other Whitefriars boxed sets, and he produced a box which had come with the sherry set, empty save for three pattern number labels, together with two glasses which didn't fit the box but had come from the same source.   Below I have also used two approximately 10 oz (half pint) whisky glasses for comparison, both of which fit the box quite comfortably.   The White Horse glass measures h. 3¾" 9.2cm by d. 3" 7.7cm;  the plain glass 3¾" 9.5cm by 3¼" 8.0cm.

Click any image except this label to enlarge

I can't find any unstemmed glasses in the comprehensive set of Whitefriars catalogues reproduced in Whitefriars dot com other than two sizes of tumbler.   Has anyone seen an example of these C438 "Garland" 10oz Whisky Glasses?   If not this box might be the sole evidence of their existence!

The two small glasses have capacity 6oz to the rim, and will take 5oz comfortably, so are approximately half the size of the whisky glasses.   What are they called?   They measure h. 2¾" 7.2cm, d. 2¾" 7.1cm, w. 8oz 235g.   They could be C438 "Garland".   Has anyone seen that style of base star on a Whitefriars piece before?   Opinions sought, please.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline SHONCRR

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • whitefriras
    • United Kingdom
Re: Whitefriars C438 "Garland" 10oz Whisky Glasses puzzle
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 08:49:29 PM »
Hi, Came across your post when i was doing a search for c438. I have a complete boxed set of 6 whisky glasses in the C438 Garland pattern. The glasses are small whisky ones - 6cm diameter, 8cm height. They have star base. Just thought I would let you know,

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 12:07:30 AM »
Hi Shoncrr, welcome to the GMB.

Sadly, Bernard C passed away in 2015, but I am sure that he would have been very grateful for your post.
KevinH

Offline SHONCRR

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • whitefriras
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:05:52 PM »
Sorry to hear that. Thank you for the reply. Shona

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia