Author Topic: Webb modern cased vase with controlled bubbles  (Read 1174 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Committee
  • Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Webb modern cased vase with controlled bubbles
« on: September 20, 2011, 12:45:46 PM »

H. 7½" 19cm, top width 3½" 9cm, base width 3¼" 8.3cm, w. 2lb 15oz 1333g.   Webb ENGLAND almost certainly sandblasted rather than acid stamped.   16 vertical lines of bubbles around the blue cone / ball (changes shape with angle of viewing).   Pontil scar neatly ground out centrally and base ground flat — both polished.   Lots of genuine wear.

I was amazed to find the Webb mark on this piece!   Webb would have been my last guess as to maker.   I couldn't help wondering if this was a development of a paperweight design.

The usual information sought please — designer, dates, range and pattern names and numbers, catalogue entries, terminology, parallels by other glassworks, &c., &c.

Thanks for your interest,

Bernard C.  8)
Text and Images Copyright 200414 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Webb modern cased vase with controlled bubbles
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:49:41 PM »
From their Flair Range designed in the 1960s. I used to have one of these, I'll see if I can find the link / info.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:54:19 PM »
Bernard - Here's a few other links regarding the Flair Range:

http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,41677.msg231176.html#msg231176

(Please scroll half way down page)
http://www.glassyeye.com/glasspages/brit-webb.html

I think there are a few other threads discussing Webb's Flair Range on the board, although just to mention I believe the name 'Flair Range' wasn't unique to Webb.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
p.302 of Hajdamach's 20th century glass says, in the chapter on David Hammond and Thomas Webb and Sons:-

"after returning from.... trip(s) to Finland in 1959, Hammond and Stan Eveson, the technical director, created the "Flair" range using the wet-stick method of expanding the shapes without the need for blowing."

and

"Introduced in January 1962, the "Flair Collection" came in a variety of vases, bowls and sculptured objects in blue, green red and amber."
Cheers, Sue (M)

All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 02:53:25 PM »
Bernard won't read Hajdamach Sue  -  like myself, he thinks it's too heavy ;D         Hope you'll forgive me adding my own picture Bernard  -  I know for certain that this bowl comes in a smaller size also.        Do hope you won't be offended, but since I haven't a blue version, if ever you were interested in a commercial proposition, I'd be very happy to hear from you :)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 02:59:44 PM »
It's very heavy, and I have very, very little strength.
(I can't get up a flight of stairs in one go, certainly can't do any gardening or lifting of heavy stone blocks) but I cope with it.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue (M)

All things are subject to interpretation. Whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 06:32:59 PM »
well, perhaps you're built like a navvy then Sue :P  -  but surely a lady of your age wouldn't be wanting to lift heavy stone blocks anyway, would you?      However, glad you can use the book  -  I'll call you next time I want the page turned.
P.S.  I'm only joking as you will know. :kissy:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 06:37:50 PM »
Bernard was building up stone beds in his garden not too long ago, Paul.
I bet the stones were heavier then the book.

Of course I know you're teasing.  :P
- I'm not built like a navvy, and I ain't no lady. I'd be lifting stone blocks if I could.
I've always fancied doing a bit of dry stone dyking!
Cheers, Sue (M)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:09 PM »
Bernard will be upset with all this off topic banter, and I expect Anne is on the point of cafeing us..................quote from Sue  ..   "I've always fancied doing a bit of dry stone dyking!"  -      surely you mean 'walling' don't you"??  :)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »
Anne is not the only one watching out for "cafeable" posts.

It only takes one member to report a post, for any reason, and the Mods are stirred into a sort of "shall-we-shan't-we" action. ;D
KevinH

This Website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand