No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase the size of a soccerball???  (Read 1798 times)

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
Vase the size of a soccerball???
« on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:12 PM »
Here is a vase bought at an antique store in Pendleton SC. Was love at first site. No one new anything about it and neither did I.
Do any of you?  It is about the size of a soccerball and weighs almost 8lbs. No signature that I can see. These are about the best pics I can get...but I am getting better. ;D
Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
Re: Vase the size of a soccerball???
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 07:25:30 PM »
Better pictures of texture. :)
Tony

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 08:44:48 PM »
Very interesting piece.  Is the top of the vase cold cut (battuto)? If cold cut, you can feel chisel marks and fairly sharp surfaces.

The bottom part looks like it has gold foil in it. If it's cold cut, the both techniques are used in Murano, although Ithat doesn't say the vase is Murano.

How would you describe the quality of the glass and the finishing on the base?

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline ttttootall

• Members
  • For the LOVE of GLASS
    • South Carolina (USA)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 08:58:21 PM »
Yes, the top half is as if it has been chiseled and the pontil is mostly smooth.
The quality of the glass to me (though no expert) seems high standard though there are many tiny bubbles through out, if that makes a difference.
As for the "gold foil" it is more of a murky mud brown rather than a shinny gold. :-\
Tony

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
It's an interesting piece. However, I'm leaning away from Murano. Battuto is increasingly done all over the world (see Dirk's recent post for an example from China). The quality of the glass, the finish on the base, and the weight all say not Murano to me.   I'm less sure where it was made, though. Perhaps China, India or Romania, although that hardly narrows it down. That's not to say it's not an intersting and very decorative piece.

As ever, I'm keen to hear what others say.

David

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 11:25:19 PM »
Since you are in the U.S. I would not rule out any one of the hundreds of studio glass operations we have here 1/2 of which do not sign their work & 75% are here today gone tomorrow operations.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »
I don't think I've ever seen battuto on an American Studio glass piece, unless you include Tagliapietra. It's very labour intensive.

David

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 03:48:08 AM »
Allow me to expand on my original response. In the late 1970s into the early 1980s in Columbus, Ohio we had nine  studio operations, two of which grew into larger operations, Eickholt & Kelsey Murphy (maybe you have heard of them) just prior to her association with Pilgrim & later Fenton. She set up her daughter in a gallery in our Short North area when she was operating her Glass Expectations Inc. & sold her cameo glass through the gallery. This is  one city in one state & I am discounting all the college fine arts glass blowing operations in Ohio & just about every public university had one. Now multiply the above for the entire U.S. & the Ohio studio movement (statewide) was considered minor league against the likes of California & Florida...you had literally hundreds of studio operations ongoing in the U.S. during this time period, granted most small operations disappeared by the early to mid 1990s, still unless anyone knew what everyone produced nationwide during this time period it would be most difficult to discount who/whom was artistically or technically capable of blowing the piece no matter how labor intensive & that is why I responded it may have been a U.S. studio piece.

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 07:20:59 AM »

It could possibly be US studio glass. I wasn't minimizing the number of glass studios in the US, simply observing that the battuto I see most of right now seems to come from outside the US, certainly on pieces of this scale. For example, see this link posted on the GMB by Dirk yesterday. http://ambiente.messefrankfurt.com/frankfurt/en/besucher/ausstellersuche.productdetails.html/mf_bata_0028378670.html

David

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »
I keep a sharp weather eye on contemporary Chinese glass when I get a chance to go to TKMaxx and make a note of all the new techniques and finishes coming out. Foil inclusions and battutto cut are now common - so are properly polished bases and pontil marks - although there is sometimes gouging seen in the rondel as it is here.
I would say contemporary Chinese, with a fair amount of confidence.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand