No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identification please.  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Puresine1964

• Members
Help with identification please.
« on: February 22, 2006, 07:45:11 PM »
Can anybody help to identify the 2 following pieces.

The purple bowl was purchased at a local auction, infact it was one of my first pieces and i have never come across another like it. It measures 16cm in diameter and 9cm high. It has wear on the bottom but no other marks and no labels.  
The bottom of the bowl has aventurine laid over the swirls, the base is also very heavy.

http://i1.tinypic.com/oadu8m.jpg
http://i1.tinypic.com/oamz29.jpg

My other request for help is in relation to my most recent purchase. I have seen these before, infact i also own a red one. Are they Italian possibly made by the same maker who made the bulbous decanters described as Alrose. I have also seen these described as Holmegaard but mine are of a crude manufacture, they do have a polished pontil though. This one measures 15cm diameter.

http://i1.tinypic.com/oan4ub.jpg

Many thanks in advance for any help, great site by the way, i will be a regular from now on,

I ask myself why does glass collecting become so addictive, i'm even collecting books on Murano glass now, it's expensive but such fun. Ian :P

Mod: The picture links are broken. If you are the owner of this piece and you have photographs, please contact a moderator so that we can restore the images to the thread.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:58:30 AM »
Hi Ian. Can't help with your first one, sorry. The second one is something we see here in my area of the States a lot. I am beginning to suspect that they might be Japanese. Just a hunch on my part and if I ever find one with a lable will post it here. Terry

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:51:05 PM »
:D:D:D

I'd be interested in finding out what the second one is too. I picked one up about 5 years ago in a charity shop, for a few pennies.
It sits at the side of my sink, holding the scrubby thing I use for the cats' dishes. 8) :P :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand