No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn? Paperweight. ID = Most likely Caithness Glass  (Read 5876 times)

Offline djkglass

• Members
Strathearn? Paperweight. ID = Most likely Caithness Glass
« on: April 16, 2015, 03:05:42 PM »

Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Strathearn? Paperweight
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 04:29:06 PM »
Difficult to say without further information (base, markings, ...) - I have a very similar one: Latticino by William Manson for Caithness, but the design was also produced by Paul Ysart and Peter Holmes and possibly more ... see also http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,20844.0.html and Scotland's Glass.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 06:05:50 PM »
You are right Wolf and although not identical you can see how very similar this version is by Scotia and it has a thistle cane in the base
Dave

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 06:06:35 PM »
Opps - somehow got two pictures the same, here is the right one
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Strathearn? Paperweight. ID = Most likely Caithness Glass
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:24 PM »
I have added a "most likely" ID to the thread title. What we can be sure of is that it is not from Strathearn Glass.

I am reasonably sure that this is a Caithness Glass version of the design. But a photo of the base could be very useful. All of the examples I have seen of this design from Caithness Glass, but without a "CG" cane, have had an indentation at the centre of the base (but that may not be true of all examples).

The GMB thread that Wuff linked to is useful for background information and also for the fact that it is not easy to decide on some of these weights.

Dave's weight above is the only one I have seen that was from Willie Manson's Scotia range. It shows that the central and outer canes are certainly not Paul Ysart canes, which does seem to be true of all the CG versions (and of course all of those from PY's Harland works).

I happen to now have an example which, under longwave and shortwave uv light fluoresces consistently with the lead-based glass used at CG, Wick. This is my first practical evidence of Paul Ysart making this design at Wick and therefore pre-dating the commencement of his Harland studio work and the CG versions from 1976 onward.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand