No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline Gondola 12.5"  (Read 10124 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2006, 08:26:21 PM »
Lazarus & Rosenfeld Ltd were (in 1933) an Export Merchant, (Colonies and USA) based at 3 Bevis Marks, EC3.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2006, 08:36:56 PM »
Thanks for the input.  Yes, I'm beginning to like it now...it's been such an interesting day...and no, I didn't take sarnies, but wish I had.  :wink:

They could be an exporter or merchants, and they were in Bevis Marks.  I've found a couple of documents about them on Google.  I guess the next stop is Companies House.  :roll:

...but would an exporter/merchant register a design?  I suppose it they had a team of designers?
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2006, 09:11:32 PM »
Jules Lang registered a lot of glass designs and they were importers

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2006, 03:35:59 AM »
Max — Congratulations.

It seems to me that you have two routes to finding the mouldmaking glassworks, the set of punches used for the reg. no., and the base stars, both of which can be as individual as fingerprints.

Also, the glass itself may help identify the manufacturing glassworks.

... and your continuing research in the archives may reveal something else registered to the same firm made by a known glassworks.

If you bring it to Cambridge, I will have a close look and see if I can help further.   Have you tried taking a photograph of the number, or of an aluminium foil impression of it?

Christine — Jules Lang were factors, or, in the old sense, manufacturers, i.e. they would take a requirement and get it made, wherever they could get the best deal, not necessarily overseas.    Conversely, take care never to assume without other supporting evidence that a company which described itself as a manufacturer actually made anything.   Burtles Tate would have quite legitimately described themselves as manufacturers of the Percival Vickers cut glass decanters shown in their trade catalogues, as they obtained their manufacture.    All very confusing for the historian!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2006, 07:23:32 AM »
Thanks Sid!  :)  :wink:

Bernard, I never considered that that Rd number style could be a deciding factor in attribution.  That's something new for me and really interesting, thank you.  

If I go to Cambridge, I'll bring the (infamous now - lol!) gondola and show you.  :)  Not quite sure how to progress this any further today, i'll have to get my thinking cap on.  8)

Christine, thanks for your thoughts.  This is all a new area for me and it's good to get discussion going. xx
I am not a man

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:28 AM »
Thanks Bernard, I assumed that because I've seen them described as importers that they were just agents rather than commissioners as well

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:13 PM »
Lazarus and Rosenfeld as Export Merchants operated in reverse to Jules Lang. There is no reason why they too would commission pieces for their overseas clients.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
Max — See topic A Mystery Art Deco Blackpool Teapot Stand for another example of the importance of knowing your punched lettering fonts.

... and remembering them  :oops:

Bernard C.  8)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2006, 03:27:33 PM »
:lol: Crumbs Bernard, surely no-one can identify things by the punched font can they?!  That's really going the extra mile...or is there a book published about them?

Well, perhaps that's a job for someone...listing all the punched letter fonts - wouldn't fancy that job myself though...  :shock:
I am not a man

Offline Bernard C

• Members
Vaseline Gondola 12.5"
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2006, 03:43:14 PM »
Quote from: "Max"
... Crumbs Bernard, surely no-one can identify things by the punched font can they?!  That's really going the extra mile...or is there a book published about them? ...

Exactly Chris Stewart's initial reaction to the ridiculous notion that a Fostoria American cube sugar / preserve could have been made by Davidson.   Now, it's in his book, and on his website!

A set of 36+ hardened tool steel punches is or was a considerable investment.   You just get to know them, particularly if you study plinths and reg. numbers.

Bernard C.  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand