No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh & Leith paper label image.  (Read 5599 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Edinburgh & Leith paper label image.
« on: September 21, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »
I found one of those jam thingys - (confiture?) marked, and with it's paper label still intact on it.
The cutting on the thingy itself is rather boring, just a basic band of diamond shapes around it (although it's quite complex if you study it closely - beautifully done).

Here are images of the mark on the base and, ta-da..... the paper label.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Edinburgh & Leith paper label image.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:00:01 PM »
Pic of piece would be nice after that glowing description.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 02:10:51 PM »
 :thud:
I didn't bother, Frank, 'cos it really, really is dull and boring, uninspired and insipid, completely void of design, even.
But, just 'cos it's you, I'll sort it. :thup:

2 pics of the E&L  :thud:

then, to show somethings far nicer, both with similar, but much smaller and much more complicated diamond hatchy thingummyjiggerybobberies
my Grandma's Harbridge confiture
and a Tudor confiture

I kind of reckon confiture thingies are underrated.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 01:23:39 AM »
Well, I guess you you just have to face British (lack of) design at its best  :clap:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »
The centre flat sections inside the hatching are square in the middle row, but have to be shaped like kites on the outer rows to accomodate the slight curve of the bowl - but as the bowl actually looks sort of straight, this fine-ish detail gets lost - because the thingies are so big.

On the Harbridge piece, every row is different - and kite shaped, but because the bowl is beautifully flared, you can at least see the hatching is graduated.

And the Tudor is 8-sided and has lovely lenses as well as complex hatching.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 11:53:28 AM »
Here's a vastly superior Edinburgh confiture. Just marked with the tiny italic "Edinburgh" script.
I use it (to prop up the scoop of cat food that I have to measure out for Pippin's diet every day) so it had got a bit mucky - what a bu**er to clean! Ended up having to use an old electric toothbrush.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 01:21:25 PM »
Ahhh that's what they are... I have a set of 6 of this shaped glasses and had no clue what they were intended for! I'll look and see if they are marked and try and get pics.

Edited to add: Pics of mine are already in GlassGallery - I'd forgotten I'd put them there.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-11370
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
I don't know what you'd need a set of 6 for - a vast selection of jams and marmalades and curds - and very greedy guests?

You see a lot of these in charity shops, they seem to be one of those things that didn't get used much and have survived.
As they're made as stand-alone things, you don't need sets or pairs, and they're not as big as cake plates, they are a good sort of thing to collect.

They don't take up too much space and they show off the cutting very nicely, if you're into that sort of thing (wine glasses just look silly on display - they should be used).

In Amsterdam, in the B&B we used to go to these were used to hold "sugar sprinkles" and brown vermicelli (it's not chocolate) on the buffet table which some folk seemed to put on their cereal.  :-X
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 07:43:46 PM »
this word 'confiture' must be something relatively recently misappropriated by the glass retail trade  -  possibly because French words sell better.        Newman's glass dictionary doesn't have an entry, and although I've been collecting table glass for a year or two, hadn't seen this in my books.     Are we talking about what would have been called a comfit glass  i.e. a sweetmeat dish - or a comport (compotier).       I see in fact that Webster's equates the word to 'comfit' (preserved or candied fruit - not a glass dessert dish)  -  and the OED also uses the word to describe the contents rather than the container.         I think we should stick with 'comfit or sweetmeat dish  -  this is how our books describe this items, usually.  :P ;D :24: :wsh:

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 11:36:09 AM »
It isn't a compote,  >:D
(I won't use the comport version of the word, I have a completely irrational but strong personal distaste for the word. So there.  :P) and it isn't a tazza.  >:D
I don't know what a comfit is, but sweetmeats are small individual thingies which would be served from a flatter surface.

It's a footed thingy for serving jam on the table.  :thup:
So it's a footed jam dish if it's not a confiture. I really don't care whether it's in english or french. ;D
Confiture is simpler to type - fewer letters and it's not such a clumsy expression.  :thup:

(no offence intended to anybody, I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand