No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edinburgh & Leith paper label image.  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Edinburgh & Leith paper label image.
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 07:59:12 PM »
well, we can't accuse you of not making use of the emoticons, can we :)        I was also being tongue in cheek, as you doubtless knew  -  but it's just that I find the 'n' awkward phonetically, and find myself wanting to pronounce the word as  'comfiture'  -  I guess because it just sounds so close to comfit.    But quite honestly I really had not heard of 'confiture' before yesterday  -  it's this sheltered life I lead. ;)     I see, incidentally, that the GMB spell check doesn't recognize the word either  -  so I'm in good company.                Notice that you didn't give any dates for your pieces  -  although assume all first half C20  -  is this because you don't know??
P.S.   It's nothing like a tazza  -  which was something that the Borgias were in the habit of drinking from >:D 

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 09:34:08 AM »
Sorry about the excessive use of emoticons Paul - I'm trying to ensure I'm not misinterpreted.  :ooh:

I've not investigated dates - I couldn't find dates for different marks on E&L on Frank's site or in Ivo's book and I gave up without much of a fight.
I'm not into cut stuff, honest.
I like a bit of Tudor because my Grandpa's wineglasses are Tudor, I have them, they're beautiful (they're the white wine glasses in this house - only nobody drinks white) and they have sentimental value - as does my Grandma's Harbridge confiture.

I think "confiture" simply means a concoction - normally of fruit and is the French word used for "jam".

So I'm just calling these things "jams" in the French language to indicate a gastronomic connection.  :ha:

eeeeeek - checking back, I see I've contradicted myself! Can't have that. :pb:

If I call them "jams", that is easier and shorter to say and type than confiture.

(I suspect I don't like comport, because I used not to be able tell whether it's really got an r in it or not from hearing it spoken. Some english regional accents put rs in where they don't belong and remove them when they do. Then folk write cryptic crosswords with sound-alike clues - and the extraneous or missing rs in things make these clues useless for folk who know where their rs are and should be.  :smg: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:32 AM »
I've not investigated dates - I couldn't find dates for different marks on E&L on Frank's site or in Ivo's book and I gave up without much of a fight.

You will these are shown at the highest level (link) on Edinburgh & Leith on Scotlands Glass, I used photos of the mark to categorise as even though there is some info on dates the different marks were used - such dates often get disproven at some point but the marks themselves make a good way to categorise the pieces.

At some point we need a good article on E&L but I don't know enough to write it... guess I should try and get permission to put the Dema book on site, which is best to date.

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 04:21:05 PM »
I used to meet lots of French people at London Airport from all over France they all called the little pots of jam and marmalade confiture .

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »
Thanks, Frank - I can't have been looking in the correct place.  :pb:
So my labelled, ultra-boring one is '27-'39.
Not a good time for anybody in the uk really.
The other one doesn't have the "MADE IN" "SCOTLAND" bits around the tiny italic script, it really doesn't - but the scripty bit is very, very faint and hard to see. My photo is of it well-crammed with talcum powder to bring it out.

I have just gone to my cupboard to retrive a large vase - it's got the "MADE IN Edinburgh "SCOTLAND" mark - but the italic script is different to my labelled jam/confiture. The letters are bigger, rounder and not as sloped. It's not like the mark on your site, I don't think. I suppose I'd better get the talc and camera out again!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2011, 05:25:48 PM »
I used to meet lots of French people at London Airport from all over France they all called the little pots of jam and marmalade confiture .

Can't call the French stuff jam, too runny  :-[

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 11:16:51 AM »
Images.

Edinburgh vase (whole thing)
Edinburgh (with "made in scotland") vase mark.)

Edinburgh (alone, on the more attractive confiture) mark and the "Made in Edinburgh Scotland" mark on the vase photographed together, at the same distance from the camera, to show the difference between the Edinburgh scripts and the difference in size.

I'm now completely confused as to whether marks are from Edinburgh or E&L :spls:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »
Same company just a name change, I would stick with using E&L as that was in use longer. I cannot give the same company two names on SG so E & L it stays.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 12:30:31 PM »
Ok, Frank!
But are these different marks of any use?
Does anybody have a date for the tiny italic "Edinburgh" on it's own?

An observation I've made about more recent Edinburgh crystal is that sometimes the mark is on the bottom of the base of a wineglass (as in my Iona) but sometimes it's actually on the top of the base!
I haven't got an example - but some years ago we gave a set of wineglasses to friends as a wedding present - I was, at the time, seriously disappointed by the positioning of the mark - I felt it spoiled the look of the glass a great deal - but there wasn't much we could do about it.

(ps thanks for the info. about the tooth enamel elsewhere - although as you said, it's useless, it's still good to get the info. correct :thup: )
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »
Might be worth trying to contact the ex EC guy just starting to post on SG. I would... but when  :spls:

(Teeth - hardly any left now, definitely mine grew to slow..  possible :D impossible  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand