No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber Footed Dessert Dish (that resonates beautifully)  (Read 787 times)

Offline Helen

• Members
Amber Footed Dessert Dish (that resonates beautifully)
« on: September 22, 2011, 01:22:57 PM »
Hello

I stumbled upon two of these in a charity shop recently and was instantly taken with the golden amber colour of the glass and the lovely ring when I did the 'finger flick' test.

I guess they are dessert / sundae dishes and appear to be fairly old but would love some more expert opinions on them as to era and possible maker (somebody has two listed on ebay currently as art deco but on what basis, I'm not sure). The bowl is slightly ribbed (which may not have come through very well on the pictures and the diameter is 4 inches, height 3 and a quarter inches.

As always, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Helen

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Amber Footed Dessert Dish (that resonates beautifully)
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
I think (someone will say if I am barking up the wrong tree) that these are grapefruit dishes, the fruit goes in the top and the you put the pips in the up turned foot as you dig them out.

That lovely golden amber would make me look at Webbs and Whitefriars first but I guess they could have been made by almost any works.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 01:57:53 PM »
...   (somebody has two listed on ebay currently as art deco but on what basis, I'm not sure).   ...

Helen — can't help with your dishes, but if, for example, everything you sell is either Victorian or art deco, then if it's not Victorian it must be art deco.   Q.E.D.   Impeccable and quite beautiful logic.    ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 02:00:06 PM »
Thank you for the suggestion regarding them being for grapefruit. It felt like the plate part at the bottom would have a purpose of it's own. And now I feel a little foolish as I just searched on Whitefriars.org and sure enough, there it is, pattern number M94, in the 1957 catalogue (and 1964, 1966) described as Sundae Ribbed d4.1/8" 1960 Grapefruit. I blame being a mother of two young children for the lack of brain cells! Thank you John, for helping me to arrive at the obvious!

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 02:23:04 PM »
And I think I'll pop back to the charity shop and make a donation as now I'm feeling really guilty that I paid £1 for the two of them!

Offline johnphilip

• Members
  • JP
    • England
    • eBay ID
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 02:56:03 PM »
Helen i shouldnt bother,  at the moment thats about what they are worth . Best to use them . :cry:

Offline Helen

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
Helen i shouldnt bother,  at the moment thats about what they are worth . Best to use them . :cry:
Thanks for helping to assuage my guilt! I think I'd be too scared to use them (especially with two young ones). But I will find a place to put them to enjoy the rich colour and periodically 'ping' them to enjoy the beautiful ring they make.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand