No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Caithness Studio Vase  (Read 1719 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Caithness Studio Vase
« on: September 22, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
Caithness Studio Vase - 6.5" high in mottled pale yellow with green to base - heavy base and cased with white - not in Mark Hill's book - anyone able to give me details.

Thanks Adam

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Caithness Studio Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 04:00:52 PM »
I've tracked down the correct page for you on Frank's Scotland's Glass site.
I'll let you trawl through all the images though. Click on vases. It should be there.

http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=7&Itemid=6
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 01:44:59 AM »
Hi Adam

I have several of these in pink and blue finishes - saw the green but didn't bid - they are heavy so postage is a lot  . seems it came in a range of colours.
Not sure I'd call it a studio vase though. If you ID it please let me know :-)

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:41 AM »
What a fabulous site Frank  :hiclp:  I remember years ago looking for something from Caithness and struggling to find pics then had not had a reason to search over the last few years.  I had no idea your site was so comprehensive - that's a fantastic resource  :sun:
m

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:12:52 PM »
Thanks all.

Searched site and can't see my vase - JAK, what labels are on your vases? I would presume 00s.

Adam

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 02:00:48 PM »
 :thud:
I've been all through Christine's Caithness book and it's not in there either. I'm surprised. These are fairly common, I see loads in charity shops. They come with a plastic label (yup, I've got one), so that dates it as post-plastic label introduction. But more info is needed.

And Frank needs images for his site.  :thup:

But no harm done at all in bringing this wonderful resource to folk's attention.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 02:22:34 PM »
Hi Adam
Yes , 00' s plastic label on mine too. I too had searched Scotland's People site a while ago but more has gone in since then so thought they may be  there now. They will get there eventually, thanks to Franks's hard work and dedication

JAK

jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:05:21 PM »
Thanks for compliments, getting on for 5,000 items listed and over 10k images and probably as many waiting to be added. Very little of the CG glassware has gone on yet!!!

The site is not really mine, I started it and push its growth it but it is a team effort CREDITS that has made it what it is today. It needs even more people to work on it and eventually someone, or two, to take on the management as it risks becoming static if I have to stop work through senility or death :tof:. I particularly need someone to write brief 'stub' articles based on the 2010 directory of glassmakers, those can later have images added to them - made a start last year but time ran out... if you can post on gmb you can write articles on SG  ;)

Our Christine is a great editor but another editor is always welcome.

The biggest problem is that the database has grown to large for the hosting facility and there is a need to find some 50 Euros a month to move to a more powerful service, which is tough on income support. The Glass-Study Association is the place to make donations for this... that also needs people to help on occasional part-time basis in order to achieve its aims...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand