No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Some new Vaseline Glass - ID needed  (Read 4139 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Some new Vaseline Glass - ID needed
« on: February 23, 2006, 01:24:18 AM »
Hi

Bought some more older glass today – Vaseline I think

This vase is a milk white cased in a thin layer of green Vaseline glass, the fringed rim is yellow/green Vaseline and so is the leaf trailing, 5.5” high and with lots of age ware, has a concave pontil that has been very polished.

Two vases here - I don’t know the name for this technique. Again the whole is cased in a thin layer of Vaseline that lines the rim in a very organic fashion. Applied decoration with Vaseline foliage and one perfect blue flower mounted about 1cm away from the surface. This is double cased with an opaque white/yellow to outer and a pink inner that bleeds through. It bleeds through on one vase more than the other as the pink is stronger inside that one, is that a problem for as pair? – 5.25” high with irregular ground pontil to base showing through to a clear white spot

Thanks

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Glassyone

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:18:20 AM »
Could they be Boulton and Mills ?
http://home.earthlink.net/~verredart4/glass/EnglishApplique.html
http://www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib2ae.html

Or Stevens and Williams?
Someone will know, that's an acanthus leaf applied and looks nicely made.
Ruth

Edit, in the rush I forgot to say they are lovely.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 07:35:55 AM »
I'm rapidly going off you  :evil:  :twisted: teasing us with such lovely things. Stevens and Williams looks a very good bet

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 07:51:04 AM »
Differences in colour serve to underline the unique handmade quality of these rare works and should be considered an asset, not a fault. :D  :D  :D

Connie

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 09:33:41 AM »
It looks like Ruth nailed the first one.  The link she provided shows what appears to be an identical one identified as Boutlon & Mills.

Ruth - where were you when I needed help with my pieces  :lol:  

I wonder if my pitcher is Boulton & Mills rather than Stevens & Williams  :?:

http://www.grayhorseglass.com/items/354848/item354848store.html#item

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:13:10 AM »
I love these David!   :shock:  The blue flowers on the pair of pink-lined vases are particularly nice!   :shock:  :D

Like much of the Stourbridge vaseline, the acanthus leaves were done by quite a few people and sometimes they are difficult to pin down to a particular glasshouse.  What are the bases / pontil marks like?  

I have a couple of these applied work vases, and the mine with an acanthus leaf is definitely Stevens & Williams (because of the flower prunt on the pontil), but they were also made 'on the continent'.  You will notice even Great Glass only attributes most of the applied work as 'English' and some of that with a question mark!   :shock:  :roll:
Leni

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:50:16 AM »
What lovely glass — I am most envious.

This style is very difficult to attribute accurately.   Narrowing it down a little, I understand that the style was not made by Powell / Whitefriars, so it is reasonable to describe it as "Stourbridge", if, like Hajdamach, you include Walsh and Smart Brothers, both only a few miles from Stourbridge, in that classification.

Hadjamach had great difficulty finding fully attributable examples, only showing examples by Stuart and S&W, including a further example decorated with S&W's Mat-Su-No-Ke flowers.   Reynolds has published a photograph of a Walsh example in his collection, marked with Rd. No. 74556 (see also p22 of the Thompson supplement, bound in with the main volume in recent printings).    Apart from these no other published example (print or Internet) known to me has included any reasonable explanation of the basis of attribution, and that includes the example attributed to S&W on the back cover of Newby, my only criticism of this otherwise excellent book, although I believe this particular attribution to be correct because of the similarity of the flower with the marked example in Hajdamach.

Further evidence of confusion is that such unsubstantiated attributions tend to vary according to whether the item is in the USA or Britain, with the authorities in the two countries having their own particular favourites.

Like Leni, above, I understand that these styles were also made elsewhere in Europe.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright 200415 Bernard Cavalot

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 04:05:21 PM »
Thank you everyone for your responses

Boutlon & Mills looks good from photo shown by Ruth - especially the base.

Thanks Ivo and Bernard and everyone else with your input on the two applied work vases - I agree that there being slight differences only goes to show the hand made quality.

So Stourbridge, or somewhere within that region - but keeping my mind open to a continental maker.

The blue, pink and yellow remind me of majolica pottery!!!

Great stuff to go on - any more visits to this dealer and I will be joining the Vaseline glass board LOL - I do like such pieces and must get some black light for the shelves where they sit.

My collecting has always been 1920's on with an emphasis on 1960s - so this is new exciting territory for me.

Adam P :P  :P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 07:05:55 PM »
I think the jury is still out on the jug, Barrie Skelcher (Big Book of Vaseline Glass) would probably say, probably Stevens and Williams and the Earthlink site has no Stevens and Williams at all to compare with

Offline David555

• Members
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 11:31:25 PM »
Hi Christine

I have much to learn - the jug on the link http://home.earthlink.net/~verredart4/glass/EnglishApplique.html looks exactly the same as mine and calls it Boulton & Mills - are you saying S&W did a jug the same (give me 1930s 'Candy Stripe' please LOL) - the size is different, the one on the earthlink site is taller - I am realising that these factories made almost identical items in 1890s, almost as bad as 1960s LOL.

For my second items (vases) what do you think - again there are comparible pieces on earthlink by Boulton & Mills?

I don't know how reliable the attributions on this site are :?

Thanks

Adam P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand