No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this an unsigned Royal Brierley vase? Answer = Yes  (Read 5886 times)

Offline albglass

• Members
Is this an unsigned Royal Brierley vase? Answer = Yes
« on: September 23, 2011, 01:07:33 AM »
Hi, I thought this was a Royal Brierley studio pieces, since the shape matches the 5882 flower bowl shown in www.great-glass.co.uk/library/lib2aa.htm   The color is a deep blue that looks black on the inside.  What gives me pause is that it is not signed on the bottom.  It looks like there may be an H scratched on the edge of the bottom, and maybe an impressed C which could be a B if I use my imagination.  Were any of the Royal Brierley Studio pieces unsigned?  Thanks!

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Is this an unsigned Royal Brierley vase?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 01:25:41 AM »
Sure looks like Royal Brierley Studio to me

I have had a small baluster? (think that is the description ) vase of theirs which was not signed, the same colour as yours. I currently have 3 of the Pink in different shapes - all of which are signed. One of them is the exact shape and size of the blue one I had so I know it was right.

Not sure why some are signed and some not - mine didn't look like a second in any way.

Nor sure if that helped at all - I suppose the quick answer is yes - some of them are unsigned  :D

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline albglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 03:37:18 AM »
Thanks so much, JAK.  The few I've seen were signed, so I couldn't be sure.  It is good news to hear that unsigned pieces are not unusual! 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 07:51:20 AM »
try the GMB search using.........'Michael Harris studio for Royal Brierley'......you will find three separate useful and interesting entries - although most of the pics. will have by now disappeared.         I also like this particular output, and have so far seen them in the deep blue, black, the pinky red and white  -  I don't know if there were additional colours. :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:58:36 AM »
I had a gorgeous simple contemporary shaped bowl in turquoise - sold it and regretted it since.
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
Yes, definitely Royal Brierley Studio range.

They are never signed, marked yes (acid etched I guess) but not signed. By definition signed would require it to have been engraved by hand with a signature and not a makers mark.

John

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 01:47:29 PM »
Absolutely correct, and a particularly beautiful example.  :smg:
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
...   Not sure why some are signed and some not - mine didn't look like a second in any way.   ...

JAK — The usual reason in respect of the main glassworks that usually marked glass was not that the piece was a second but that it was part of an order from one of the trade buyers that didn't want their glass signed, of which there were quite a large number.   Examples include John Lewis until quite recently, Liberty & Co.,  and Marks & Spencer.

This is the fifth or sixth time I've said this on the GMB — averaging out at roughly once a year back to 2005.   Do I need to make a diary note to mention it again next year?   ;D

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline jakgene

• Members
  • Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby
    • Mid 20 Century glass
    • Australia
Re: Is this an unsigned Royal Brierley vase? Answer = Yes
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
 >:D Very probably Bernard - the way my "Oldtimers" is kickin' in!   :ooh:

Sorry, but It is not a question I have seen mentioned before - but have only been on the board for about 2 years, so I plead ignorant for any years before that!    :usd:   However. thanks for the explanation - it makes sense!

JAK
jakgene
Western Australia
Mid 20 Century Glass
British Glass, Scandinavian Glass, Murano Glass,
Paperweights. (and anything gorgeous!)

Offline albglass

• Members
Re: Is this an unsigned Royal Brierley vase? Answer = Yes
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 03:25:43 PM »
Oh, sorry you had to repeat your info.  I did a search on Royal Brierley and your explanation didn't turn up on the search.  Sometimes it is hard to get the right search term to bring up relevant information.  Thanks for taking the time to repeat it---It is well worth repeating! 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand