No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Flavio Poli/Murano or Czech Cased Green & Brown Vase  (Read 4805 times)

Offline horochar

• Members
Flavio Poli/Murano or Czech Cased Green & Brown Vase
« on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:58 PM »
This is a large and beautiful, heavy vase.  Cannot find a similar example on the net or in my books.  I'd love to know if it's Poli Seguso or other Murano piece (my best guess), or made by one of the Czech firms in the 1950s/1960s.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles.

Offline kane_u_pain

• Members
  • I don't prood read or spell check!
    • SVdA, Japanese Glass
    • Sydney, Australia
Re: Flavio Poli/Murano or Czech Cased Green & Brown Vase
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
Do you have a base shot? I would rule out Poli myself, but would like to see the base. Looks like a really good piece though, what are the dimensions?

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
The piece is 9 3/4" (24.5 cm) tall.  Hopefully these extra pix will help to identify the piece.  I don't think my original ones showed the casing so well.

Charles.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 02:41:47 PM »
I vote Czech :)

In samuelisova's picasa gallery is a remarkably similar vase in a very 'Czech colour combo' attributed to Zemek for Mstisov (I don't know if that is correct, I would rather have guessed Skrdlovice).

Michael

Offline horochar

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
Thanks Michael!  Good find!  Obviously, it is the exact same piece, only in a different color combination. 

Who knows, maybe some day the market will appreciate the contributions to art glass made by Czech producers in the mid-20th century!  Either way, it's a nice addition to my collection, and did not cost me much money.

Charles.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:36 PM »
Charles, glad I could help :)
If you say it is the exactly same shape (I was not entirely sure from the pics) then it is Czech!

The colours of yours do look more like Skrdlovice than Mstisov IMHO; so if some kind mod could move this to the right sub-forum, I am sure one of the Skrdlovice experts can tell you when and by whom your lovely vase was designed...

BTW, the market is rather fast in appreciating the beauty of Czech glass (unfortunately -- regarding the prices asked for some pieces)

Michael

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 01:55:59 PM »
This older topic was, today, moved out of Murano to here.

However, the link to Samuelisova's picasa page now shows as "Page not found" so direct comparison to the item Rocco found is currently not possible.
KevinH

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 03:31:54 PM »
Sorry, didn't check that.
Here is a link to my vase with a Skrdlovice label: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40346.msg263876.html#msg263876

Michael

Offline langhaugh

• Members
    • My albums
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »
I would lean more to Mstisov here, mainly because I can't recall seeing a similar Skrdlovice piece. Robert or Jindrich would know for sure.

Just for the sake of clarity:  Michael you're not saying that your blue and green piece is the same, are you? You can see the difference most clearly in the shape of the base.

David
My glass collection is at https://picasaweb.google.com/lasilove

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 07:35:20 AM »
Sorry to object, David :)

But I am rather convinced that this piece is Skrdlovice -- the colourway is not unusual (>> link1, >> link 2), whereas I can't recall seeing a piece of Mstisov in those colours...

And regarding the pattern: I would think that they are both the same, as I haven't found another similar shaped vase in the pattern books. (But I am not totally sure if mine is really PN 54181, while this one fits much better).
But the design is really hard to capture on pics.

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand