No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Twelve Perthshire glass miniature vases, FAKE Monart  (Read 9912 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Twelve Perthshire glass miniature vases, FAKE Monart
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 09:35:49 AM »
Nice thinking Gary!  :sun:
I have to confess, I'm surprised these went for so much - if you've ever seen or handled a Monart miniature I don't think you'd fall for these. The auction pics don't blow up well - but the items themselves just don't look good enough. They're dull, lumpy and uninteresting. Not words one would apply to Monart!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 11:27:11 PM »
Sorry Sue, I do not agree. These fake miniatures are superb glass craftsmanship, I am sure the maker is good and did not know how JJ intended to use them but I would be happy to have kept all those I bought. I sold them onto trusted collectors. If the maker ever came forwards I would congratulate them on catching the essence of the Ysart style, more so than anyone else has done. These pieces could then be sold at a good price because of the real maker. I could understand if they are embarrassed but as the collecting community was never fooled (weel until 22 years later) no-one would view the maker in anything other than a positive light.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:41:15 AM »
I hear you - I can't blow the auction pics up to examine them closely - the wee bit thay can be expanded leaves the images fuzzy. I've not handled any of them and I have to admit, they're not in any of the Monarty colourways that I like, which may contribute to my dismissal of them.

I am looking at my Monart miniature to compare these images with, and fuzzy pics don't compare well with my rather beautiful and elegant finely-blown piece.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »
The two small vases listed as Monart are from the same batch of fakes (IMHO) as mentioned in this thread. I have emailed the auction house re my doubts on their authenticity.
Gary
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/crows-auction-gallery/catalogue-id-2850608/lot-15001452

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 07:33:17 PM »
Hard call without a base view but possible!

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:32 PM »
Below is a link to the auction house who originally sold the group of twelve miniatures
The vase at the front and the one to the right and one up are the same shape and colour schemes as the one now listed in Crowes autions.
http://www.woolleyandwallis.co.uk/Lot/?sale=DA210911&lot=21&id=204506
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 10:48:46 PM »
Yup well matched up. Easily confirmed by asking the current auction house what the base is like.

I have heard where they were made, intriguingly in London. I also have a pretty good idea by who too - just an assumption based on the location of the studio that made the miniatures. If the maker reads this I would love them to get in touch and take ownership with pride. I do not believe the maker intentionally made fakes. Just a group of miniatures for a dealers showcase was probably the line used by commissioning dealer. Bear in mind that at the time Monart was almost an unknown just emerging from obscurity.

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2012, 08:32:22 PM »
The lot at Crows auction sold for £120 hammer price. A bit on the low side considering the one piece of Monart was a shape HF in the fairly rare colour code 233A, maybe Monart collectors were put off with the dubious Monart miniatures.
Gary

Offline helenaJ

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Having requested a condition report, I bid successfully on-line for this lot.   It took me 1 hr 40 mins to drive to the auction house to collect said lot.  I confronted one of the auctioneers about the 2 fake vases saying a member from the GMB had contacted them about these 2 pieces.   He wasn't very helpful!!   Said I could cancel my bid, but I asked to see the lots anyway as I wanted the striped vase (condition good, so the email said), the miniatures definitely fake, the writing on the label completely different.   But the biggest disappointment was the striped vase - cracked from top to bottom.   Once I pointed this out to the auctioneer, he cancelled the sale immediately.   So a bit of a wasted journey + plus petrol.

Mary

PS:  I've now moved permanently back to the UK, only took a year to sell the house!!!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2012, 12:23:25 AM »
Hi Mary,

What a pain!!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia