No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strange amber glass "object" ID= Dragan Drobnjak designer, Serbia  (Read 24159 times)

Offline dejanborkic

• Members
Re: Strange amber glass "object" with internal connections(?)
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2015, 05:21:19 PM »
I'm sorry to say but Mark is not right about the attribution. I will try to contact him in order to correct his article.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2015, 07:54:45 PM »
No problem Dejan, good luck,

Robert (bOBA)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
Thanks again for identifying this piece, Dejan!

I just read the attribution on Mark Hill's blog, and wanted to contact him and link him to this thread; but much better if you do that.

Michael

Offline dejanborkic

• Members
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2015, 11:58:04 AM »
To substantiate my claims I attached photo from the Prokuplje catalog (1986).
For now there is no response from the Mark Hill.

Offline bOBA

• Members
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2015, 01:03:04 PM »
Thanks Dejan, Mark is a very busy guy with several jobs, so it may take time for him to get back to you but I am sure he will be interested to discuss this.

We all like to be accurate and it may be that your information is solid. Mark is a good historian, he was careful to say in his article that he was speculating, saying "I think" in his article, not "certain". I think he will reply to you when he can, he sometimes posts here himself too, I think your information may persuade us all, thank you

thanks Michael as well,

Robert (bOBA)

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2015, 04:54:37 PM »
Just checked my record book ( sad I know ) and I bought my piece in July 1996 for the grand total of £3 !

Offline dejanborkic

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2015, 01:47:43 PM »
I have compiled a brief biography of the designer Dragan Drobnjak and I put on my new website. On this link you can see pictures a few of his designs. Such as the free-blown and formed object from the International symposium in Novy Bor 1982. The text was in Serbian but there is a possibility of the English translation through a translator.
https://sites.google.com/site/zbirkastaklavorgic/6-clanci-articles/dragan-drobnjak

Also if someone is interested on my site can find my research work about Rudolf Schrotter.

Offline dejanborkic

• Members
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
I just spoke on the phone with the designer Drobnjak. I received information from him when he designed "strange object" Ikebana. He said that he could not exactly remember, but let's say in 1975 or in 1976. Then they made the first pieces but serial production has started somewhat later. Also told me that they are manufactured in serial production only in three colors (colorless, green-smoke and bright amber). By order and for the exhibitions Prokuplje glassworks made a special pieces with specific patina.

I also got from Drobnjak and a host of other information. He came on exhibitions and symposia across Europe (France, Russia, Czechoslovakia...). Everywhere he stole attention,because he came from glassworks for which no one has ever heard. Five times he was in the Novy Bor and there he received a special award. He is no longer engaged in designing glass but still works sculptures of bronze and is very active.

I'm sorry that Mark is not interested in this topic, but the two times I've tried to contact him.
I think we have now rounded out the story on this subject.

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 10:50:20 AM »
Hello Dejan,

I am sorry I hadn't come across this revived thread before, and thank you, Robert (boBa), for notiyfing me about it.

This is fascinating and a mystery truly solved - finally. My suspicion has always been that they are Eastern European, but certainly not by Pavel Hlava. I based my attribution on the similarity of elements of this design to many of Tomaszewski's sculptures that I found in a monograph book on him, as my blog post says. As my blog post also says, and as Robert kindly points out, I didn't make a definitive attribution, I just said that I thought that they may be by Tomaszewski, based on these images, and asked for more information or other attributions.

I would really like to update my post as I dislike incorrect information on there, or being 'out there'. Sadly, I have not received any of your communications, otherwise I would have responded to them! Perhaps you could email me at books@markhillpublishing.com with any images and full information, and I will update my blog, crediting you as the source? I hope your email gets through this time... Sadly I don't look on here very often, especially as I am in the middle of revising and expanding my book on 1950s-70s Czech glass right now.

Our world is full of new and revised attributions, especially in new and cutting-edge areas such as these, and it's great to be able to react to them as the truth is uncovered definitively. Lots of people criticise others when these sorts of things happen, which is both unfair and incorrect in my opinion. It's not just these new areas that are affected in such a way - the attribution of some 18thC British porcelain to certain factories is often in a state of flux, or finally changed from one to another, as new shards are uncovered at dig sites at a factory's location - despite it having been collected and 'understood' for over a century.

Great stuff!

Many thanks,
Mark
www.markhill.net
Text and images © Mark Hill
www.markhillpublishing.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum