No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Airco 1981  (Read 2045 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Airco 1981
« on: September 24, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
Nice weight with blue ground and aventurine - central bubble and swirles of tiny bubbles.

Acid etched AIRCO 1981 to base - so that gives a date but I am presuming the AIRCO is a company http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airco - any ideas on maker of this weight (3" diam).

Thanks Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
Re: Airco 1981
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 07:16:03 PM »
looks like a caithness piece to me
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33:43 PM »
Will have a look at Caithness PW book early 80s when I get back home tomorrow.

Meanwhile here is a photo of aventurine.

Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
Well - according to wikipedia the AIRCO you suggest closed in 1920 - could be a club of Airco enthusiasts, of course, looking after old aircraft.

A logo search, however, revealed http://www.logosdatabase.com/logo/airco_73259513: the leading A looks fairly typical, doesn't it? Now - if I interpret this info correctly, we are dealing with an US company: would they commission a weight from Caithness?

Now for the weight: whilst it could be a standard weight with just the base inscription commissioned, it could also be a commissioned design. In the latter case, and assuming Caithness, your chances are dim to find it in the Charlton catalogue: whilst there are quite a few commissioned weights in there, it is only a fraction of the commissioned weights actually made.

I obviously haven't found your weight amongst my Caithness data - otherwise I would have just mentioned the name - but then: I usually spot 1 or 2 "unknown" Caithness weights on ebay each month. Aventurine is not typical for Caithness, however: you mention Aventurine in your second posting - but are likely using it for the material only, not meant to be the weight's name. I have only one Caithness "Aventurine" in my database - which looks completely different.

Conclusion: interesting weight - could well be Caithness - but other possibilities should be considered.
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand