No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Identification - Hard to read writing ID = Chance "Lancer"  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Glass Identification - Hard to read writing
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 07:38:28 AM »
Hi Anne  :)

The signature is in the middle of the bowl in the second picture (2041.jpg) - the one with the fluted top. Thanks, will definitely list it as Chance now. Sarah :)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 08:50:43 AM »
Hi Sarah,

The bowl with the signature is the Lancer pattern.

Although I've only recently started research on Chance pressed glass there are only two patterns left to identify (from six, the remaining one is Gossamer). I wasn't expecting a star-cut base though, as the other patterns do not feature this.

Would it be possible to use any photographs of this bowl on my site? If so, higher resolution taken on a white or pale background would be preferable if you still have them. Sorry for asking so much! :roll:

Also, could you give me the dimensions of the two pieces? This will allow me to catalogue each item as it becomes available. :)

EDIT: Sarah, you can e-mail them directly to me, of course - just use the button below or info@glassyeye.com  8)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:09 PM »
You were right with your oblings!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 04:10:25 PM »
Quote from: "Tabatha"
Hi Anne  :)

The signature is in the middle of the bowl in the second picture (2041.jpg) - the one with the fluted top. Thanks, will definitely list it as Chance now. Sarah :)

Brilliant! Thanks Sarah, that helped solve a mystery. :)  When you list your glass on eBay you can also add a link to the sale/s in the Glass Market Place here on the board.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »
Hi David  :)

Thanks for the identification on the bowl. It would be a pleasure to take piccies of them for you to use. I will try and get some good ones if I can. Ive tried to take ones of them for the last few nights ready to list them, but the lighting makes them look awful, so Im hoping tonight I might get some decent ones. If not Im going to try in the morning in the daylight before I go to work, as its dark when I get home. Whats the best thing to save them as for you (jpg, bmp ?).

The dimensions of the Lancer bowl are: base 7 1/4 cm, height 6cm, and about 13cm wide.

The dimensions of the other (spiderweb) bowls are: base 4cm, height 5 1/2 cm (just under) and about 12cm wide (just slightly under). I have 4 of this size.

Hope these are ok.

Do you think its ok to put the spiderweb bowls on and list them as Chance even though they dont have the impressed mark in them, like the other bowl? (could they be fake ones?)

Many thanks for all your help, Sarah  :)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 06:41:45 PM »
Hi Anne  :) ,

I didnt realise there was a place here to list your ebay auctions. Thats great, I will definitely put a message on the marketplace forum when I manage to get some decent photos of them. I am watching the spiderweb ones that are on ebay at the moment, hoping it will give me an idea of what start price to put them on at. I know they wont get much, but I would hate them to go for 99p  :lol: .

Many thanks, Sarah  :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 07:11:10 PM »
Yes you should be fine listing the Spiderweb as Chance. I don't know of any fakes of this pattern and not all Chance is marked with the signature.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand