No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass salt ID - Registered to Whittingham & Percival, Manchester  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Susan GAle

• Members
Glass salt ID - Registered to Whittingham & Percival, Manchester
« on: February 23, 2006, 04:56:26 PM »
I have a glass salt cellar from England that has a mark in the bottom, which I am hoping someone can give me some information on.

It is a diamond shape with an oval at the top point with 111 inside it.  On the left hand point ther is a number 2, on the right hand point a v and on the bottom point an m.  In the middle is a capital R with a small d underlined twice.

Thanks for any help you can give me. :?:

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Glass salt
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 05:26:11 PM »
welcome to the board Susan! I am sure quite a lot of our contributors here can help - I can't I am afraid :?
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Glass salt
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 05:30:22 PM »
Hi Susan,
What you describe is a registration lozenge.
Making it that the design of your piece was registered in June 1876.
Under the III there should also be a number, that will give the day in June when the design of the piece was registered.
Should the number be a 6 or 14 then the registration belongs to Whittingham & Percival, Manchester.
For the rest, I am sorry, I cannot help, but maybe others can.
A picture would also be nice. :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Susan GAle

• Members
Glass salt
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 06:16:32 PM »
Thank you so much for the information.  There is a number 14 underneath the oval at the top of the triangle.  I had no idea that it was that old.  It belonged to my grandmother.  Now I can do some further research into the company.  Thank you again.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Glass salt
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 06:18:09 PM »
P.S. Susan.
That would be Manchester, England......not USA.  :D
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Susan GAle

• Members
Glass salt
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 06:20:25 PM »
Correct.  That is where I am from, and the salt came with me to America from my home in Kent.

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
Glass salt
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 06:22:02 PM »
How we English folks get around.  :lol:

Offline Susan GAle

• Members
Glass salt
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 06:22:42 PM »
Also, I would love to send a picture but don't know how.  I will work on it over the weekend and see if I can get one taken and send it.  I have been letting my granddaughter play with the cellar, but I think now I will put it safely away.  I wonder if it has any monetary value? :D

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Glass salt
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »
Hi Susan, you may find this page interesting as it explains all about the registration lozenges, and shows you how to decipher what they mean: http://www.great-glass.co.uk/glass%20notes/lozkey.htm.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Susan GAle

• Members
Glass salt
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 06:29:57 PM »
I am overwhelmed by everyone's help.  Thank you all so much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand