No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: paperweight with bubble core and spaced out millefiori canes  (Read 1589 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
paperweight with bubble core and spaced out millefiori canes
« on: September 26, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »
I thought this might be a Murano weight? based on the colour of the canes.... but I really don't know.
Looking very close up the red cane seems to have a smiley face in it, two eyes and a smiley mouth.  Is that possible or is it just a function of the shadows or something in the way the cane is made up please?
It has a highly polished flat base.  Measures about 2 1/4" wide by 1 3/4"high.
Thanks for any help  :sun:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
Re: paperweight with bubble core and spaced out millefiori canes
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:39:24 PM »

I'd agree with Murano, rather than Chinese made for Murano, as the canes look to be a little before the Chinese influx. But I could be wrong....

As for what one sees in a cane, many people have shown that our brains are hard-wired to recognise faces, and interpret random shapes of light and shade in that way - so if the dark and light blobs happen to be positioned like features of a face, we see a face. So who knows whether it is intentional, or serendipity in your paperweight.

From time to time collectors go on about millefiori canes that are shaped like 'a seagull', or a 'dancer' or some other fanciful interpretation, when all that has happened is that a regular star shape has been distorted in manufacture. Again - you see what you want to see: it is not a case of 'right or wrong'.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:55:44 PM »
Thank you :sun:  Is there a name for this bubble 'core' please?  I haven't been able to find one like it.  I guess it is made with an implement of some sort as the bubbles are arranged on a diagonal swirl up the core.
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 08:29:08 PM »
I would have thought the core was the first gather, maybe blown a little if bubble inside it, enamels picked up via dip mould, twisted, Pricked to create surface bubbles, then second gather, cane slices picked up, third gather and shaped.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Thanks!  that must be a good explanation Frank as it makes perfect sense to me  ;D   
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand