No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn Weight, Can you tell me about it? ID = Ice Pool, PSF12  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Strathearn Weight, Can you tell me about it? ID = Ice Pool, PSF12
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:33:09 AM »
I took a trip up to Canada recently and came across this Strathearn paperweight which looks nothing like any Strathearn weight I've seen before, I was wondering if anyone here would be able to clue me in a little?

It's crystal clear with 5 barely concave facets around the edge and a larger one on the top. There is a single blob of "something" in the center (I won't tell you what my friend suggested it might be!!) and it is signed on the base "Strathearn 1978"

I'm hoping it's something more interesting than "The artist dropped his chewing gum" lol

It measures 2" tall and 2 7/8" in diameter.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Strathearn Weight, Can you tell me about it?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 03:58:17 AM »
This is Strathearn "Ice Pool", design number PSF12 (5+1 faceted version) and limited to 100 pieces per year. A later, multi-faceted version was realeased as "PSMF123", also limited edition. Unfaceted ones were "P1" design and unlimited production.

The something inside is a piece of quartz, which was apparently taken from the river Tay when the Strathearn works was based by the river in Perth! [ * ] Some of these have small quartz pieces and others larger ones. Some are marked and dated as yours is, some have the Strathearn "Leaping Salmon" impressed mark on the base and others have no mark at all.

[ * ] later edit to state ... Please see daveweight's comments below regarding the source of the quartz (silica stone). My comment here that the Strathearn works was once by the Tay is incorrect!
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Catisfaction

• Members
Re: Strathearn Weight, Can you tell me about it? ID = Ice Pool, PSF12
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 04:04:12 AM »
Kevin, once again I must thank you for your expertise. I really appreciate the swift response!

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 04:56:52 AM »
Not so much my expertise, just knowing a bit about which books and websites to reference. ;D
KevinH

Offline SophieB

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 02:50:04 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I did not know that the quartz came from the river Tay. Many thanks for sharing this titbit with us (i obviously read the wrong books....). :-[

Sophie  

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 12:08:05 PM »
Just back from holiday and catching up on GMB postings so I thought I would add my contribution. I did a lot of research on Strathearn weights for an article I wrote published in the 2006 PCA Bulletin and my understanding is that these silica stones are unique and only found around the town of Crieff, where the Strathearn factory was located near the river Earn. The river Tay flows through Perth, some 20 miles to the east, and this is a large fast flowing river so stones on the riverbed are likely to be tossed around and rubbed smooth.

These stones are usually found on the ground mixed in with other stones and Strathearn initially had an arrangement with a local builders merchant who allowed them to sift though stones and gravel in his yard and they paid for each bag of silica stones they took but their main "haul" came when blasting for a dam on nearby Loch Turret threw up large quantities of these stones and John Deacons told  me Jack Allen drove him out there and they filled several bags.

Although only white stones were used in these Ice Pool weights they can be found tinged with yellow, pink or blue and some of these were used in friggers but I have never seen one.

I think the rarest of the Ice Pool weights is the PSMF123 which is a multi facetted version and here is a pictue of my copy.

Dave

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:19:06 PM »
Hi Dave, hope your holiday was good.

Thanks for the detail on the silca stones. Looking at my earlier comment again, I am now wondering if I have mixed up some things I was told a few years back. Not sure if I can even find any notes to make sense of it.

Anyway, given that the Strathearn company was a renaming of Vasart Ltd by Teachers, following the move to the new factory at Crieff, I should have thought about my info before posting. :-[ Assuming quartz was not used in any Vasart Ltd weights, it makes little sense to suggest that it was gathered from the Tay! I just wish I could recall who told me about this and when.

Sorry to all readers for my use of unchecked information earlier.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand