No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Glass formula ??  (Read 21578 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Monart Glass formula ??
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:52:56 AM »
I wonder about the authenticity of this lot. If true, a truly major find.
http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bourne-end-auction-room
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Monart Glass formula ??
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:31:13 PM »
Link fails. But found here http://www.bourneendauctionrooms.co.uk/2011/10/catalogue.htm

I would regard this with the greatest suspicion as Paul was adamant such things were never written down and kept solely and jealously in the personal knowledge of family members only., The only exception to this is the formula of Paul Ysart's Harland batch which was mixed for him by Moncrieff and this remains in the personal possession of the MD at that time who shared it with no-one.

A substantial number of such documents have circulated over the years and all were traced back to a certain Perth based dealer, who normally bundles such documents with genuine ephemera to give them authenticity. Whenever asked for provenance on such papers he backed out of the sale or further discussion. I note also labelled miniatures are included in the collection."include a yellow whorled vase with tints of white and pin, 42 MF x 1 and a turquoise green flared vase with a clear and aventurine glass rim, OOGC x 1" which sounds like similar to those in the other recent lot.

Do not be surprised to find other such ephemera, a book containing the colour formulas, several sets of 'Monart' moulds, notebooks purported to be Vasart, several sets of Paul Ysart's tools (despite the well documented purchase of the real tools.) all faked. At least one of these is probably documented on this board.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:46:49 PM »
I am planning to attend the auction (for a couple of py weights that I might try for), and will try to view on Tuesday, the day before the sale. I'll take a camera and see what photos I can get of some of those Monart lots.
KevinH

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:55:58 PM »
In that lot there is what has been described as a Monart 1927 catalogue and price list, the following image is from the Monart archives held at Perth museum. I took this photo whilst doing a days research into the Monart archives. Hopefully this will help you Kevin or any other member who can view th lot.
Gary

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:07:52 PM »
Catalogue is likely genuine, last one I know of sold around 400 pounds. Price list probably OK, formulae not a chance.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »

Assuming that we're thinking of the same lot Frank, the catalogue that sold for some £400 was not on its own, since it had photos and ther ephemera included.

Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
Good to see a picture. I still go with fake on the formulae, Intriguing that price lists have the Glass logo... I would have expected the 1927 catalogue to be the Ware logo... but not showing there. If it is Glass, it gives a nice early date for the Glass logo - mind you I guess the price lists do that!. Will it contain more than the 4 pages of the first catalogue? Shown here http://www.ysartglass.com/Moncat/Moncat1P1.htm

First use of Glass logo was previously given as c1930. 1927 is a very intriguing bit of data.

See label G1 here http://www.ysartglass.com/BaseLabel/Labels.htm

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »
A couple of snippets from the auction preview ...

I can confirm that the Price List details in the 1927 Monart Ware Catalogue are identical to the part that Gary showed in the photo taken at Perth Museum. And yes, that catalogue has 4 pages covering shapes A through ZC. The two copies of the Monart Glass Catalogues are identical, each with an Introduction page titled "Monart Glass", and 12 pages (printed double-sided) covering shapes A through ZE. The batch formulae are simply single sheets with text using a typewriter.

The Lot of Seven Miniature vases have four with labels which are shown below.

As far I could tell there were no items amongst whole Monart selection of Lots that had a dubious label, although a couple of labels (one being in the image below) did seem remarkably clean considering they were applied to an essentially flat base.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 05:37:37 PM »
And ...

Intriguing that price lists have the Glass logo... I would have expected the 1927 catalogue to be the Ware logo....
The 1927 Catalogue and Price List do have the Monart Ware Logo throughout.
KevinH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand