No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart Glass formula ??  (Read 21583 times)

Offline Gary

• Members
Re: Monart Glass formula ??
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 06:50:06 PM »
There seems do be some discrepancies with labels ie the order of colour code and size code are the opposite way round. On all pre war Monart labels the size code comes first then shape code then colour code, on these ones the colour code is first then shape code then size code. Also I believe at least two of the colour codes are wrong, colour code 55 is a blue and white paisley shawl and the colour code 00 am sure was never a Monart colour code number.
Gary        

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 07:07:27 PM »
labels and the writing look spot on to me, dont know why there in different order than most, , maybe someone else got the job for a while of doing the labels, as for colour code 00 cant see why it shouldnt exist, theres always something new to learn about Ysart glass everyday,
who needs Revatio when you have a collection of Monart

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 07:21:22 PM »
oh also colour code 55 is not blue and white paisley shawl, colour code 55c is, so i assume that the c after the code may mean its different from code 55, i assume that its the same idea as when they done special sizes they put put an extra letter or sign after size code,

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 07:36:21 PM »
Thanks Kevin, based on that we can now change the date on the G labels to c1927 and all those with Ware labels can be reasonably sure their pieces are pre 1927. As all labelling was done by one person it is unlikely the Ware labels continued in use. These catalogues can also be regarded as a second edition that was not know to me.

Off centre is not a problem and if a flat bottom label is pristine, I would expect the base to be wear free.

I do find 00 odd but nothing that can be said although we can consider that perhaps it was simply a colour without a code.

The formula was dated 1925 and can be easily checked as I and the museum will have plenty of typing examples, Moncrieff would not be awash with typewriters. The Monax 'analysis' makes little sense as Moncrieff would know the formula, why bother to analyse it! Unless it is an analysis of the American Monax glass which was the subject of litigation, not mention in documents I have seen though. Still the fact remains that this 'Monart' formula exists when PY stated with absolute certainty that it was never written down. While the author of this piece would have had assistance from a glassmaker we unfortunately have no means of checking authenticity of contents and would at best be able to show if it was probably not one of Moncrieff's typewriters. Combined with the fact that a certain person is known to have forged a variety of documents of this ilk, including but not always on genuine Moncrieff stationery. This item must be regarded with the greatest suspicion.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 07:55:35 PM »
Interesting comments about the label coding order. I did not go that deeply into my review of the items. There is also at least one other label with that order of coding, "10.UB.X1" as stated in the auction description for Lot 67 (five other miniatures).

For the items with the four labels I photographed, the shapes do tie in with the codes, with allowances for shape variations of course.

I would have photographed all the Monart stuff but after getting images of the Lamp (which has an uncoded Monart Glass label) the camera battery died - and the spare died as soon as I turned the camera back on!!

Anyway, I am interested in three weights, and if I get them with some money left over (they will not be cheap as chips), I might think about the Catalogues. :)
KevinH

Offline Andy

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 08:37:30 PM »
Hi, its my local auction rooms, i go every week for a nose around. I saw these and emailed Frank, not knowing about
this thread. Kevin, i must have been just after you, i wondered why most of the glass was upside down! Now ive seen
your photos ;D
I took some photos of the formula, and the catalogues, and have emaild to Frank.
I will go along and see what happens, not really thinking of bidding unless they go for silly prices.
Kevin, i will look out for you, but i dont want to bid against you, i will not bid for any PWs.
Cheers
Andy

(pic of me on bench outside IOW Glass, look out for me  :thup:  )
"Born to lose, Live to win." Ian (Lemmy) Kilmister Motorhead (1945-????)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:22 PM »
I have a bowl with the colour code of 55 and is blue and white paisley shawl coloured in blue and white with a blue inner.
In the "Ian Turner Collection of Monart Glass" lot 9 sold at Christies there is a vase catalogued with the colour code 55. http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/a-vii-e-55-vase/4149195/lot/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4149195&sid=17245e69-8685-442e-adfd-c54f0ac95a54

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
I have a bowl with the colour code of 55 and is blue and white paisley shawl coloured in blue and white with a blue inner.
In the "Ian Turner Collection of Monart Glass" lot 9 sold at Christies there is a vase catalogued with the colour code 55. http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/a-vii-e-55-vase/4149195/lot/lot_details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=4149195&sid=17245e69-8685-442e-adfd-c54f0ac95a54

the picture you show is colour code 55c, is this your bowl?? because i can see a letter c at the end, also the one at christies may have been 55c  but they may have omitted the c

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »
I'll see you there then Kevin and Andy  ;) :)

Nigel

Offline millarart

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 09:54:17 PM »
and al see you all there, should be fun, bring plenty cash guys :smg:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum