No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Boda candy dish, signed -- Bertil Vallien or Erik Höglund?  (Read 6209 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Boda candy dish, signed -- Bertil Vallien or Erik Höglund?
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
John I mean that my pieces are signed something like H 828/140
They dont have a / after the H like this one does.  This one reads H/1334/53 - there is a slash after the H.
None of mine have that.  Do yours?
m

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 07:52:49 AM »
I know M, yet another reason why I consider it a faked engraving. Sometimes I don't like to highlight all the obvious mistakes, the forgers will just get better...

None of my hoggy bits have an extra / but there are a few variations like H xxx, Boda H xxx and Boda H xxx Hoglund.

On the weekend I saw yet another genuine bit of Mdina with a faked 'Mdina' signature, not that they could spell Mdina. Idiots, it's not as if it would add any value anyway.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »
oh ok, sorry, I just thought I wasn't explaining it very well  ;D
m

Offline rosieposie

• Members
    • Glass birds and animals
    • Hampshire. South of England.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2011, 11:13:37 AM »
Faked signatures seem to be the norm at the moment....hence my posting the Wedgwood/ Mats Jonasson thread.......and I see there is another with a lovely little bubble vase with a Tapio Wirkkaala (Spelling!?) signature.

I suppose in the end, it all comes down to knowing your glass, and hopefully, the ones with imprinted pontil marks will be genuine without doubt.

It beats me why they want to spoil a quality item by adding the false signature of a similarly valued item.....do you think this would devalue the original, or add to the value as a curious oddity??
Rosie.

When all's said and done, there's nothing left to say or do.  Roger McGough.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2011, 02:29:40 PM »
A wonky sig would devalue an item for many collectors so safe to assume in general terms too I suppose.

Offline Daniel S

• Members
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 09:00:55 AM »
1. you can remove the signature, no problem at all. THis fake signature could never fool be, the style is all wrong. YOu need just 1 second to see that.

2. EH signatures are mostly H xxx/xxx, the /xxx indicates the height OR diameter. H/xxx/xxx have I never seen.

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
Thanks a lot for your input, guys!
I was still hoping that it would turn out to be some mistakenly applied pattern number, or that " H/ " is refering to someone/something different than Höglund.
But to be honest I don't mind if it has the (fake) signature or not -- I was rather sure what it was when I bought it, the signature just added to my interest.

And it is quite discreet and well executed -- no ugly big "Tapio Wirkkala" or such scratched on the bottom like we have seen in obviously fake pieces on ebay :spls:

Michael

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand