No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: colour data request on Rudolfovahut centre piece  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
colour data request on Rudolfovahut centre piece
« on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:52 PM »
I have already an amethyst example which according to Pamela's 'presglass-pavillon' data is pattern No. 13171  -  and this morning found another in what might possibly be something like 'Willow' - although I really am not sure.       Officially, the listed pattern nos. in Marcus Newhall's book are......13169/170/171 - so I'm thinking this colour is presumably either 13169 or 13170  -  and grateful for confirmation, and hopefully the correct name of this colour.     Does anyone know which colour I'm missing, not that I think I'm going to be that lucky to find the remaining pattern, but you never know.            thanks for looking, and all replies will be very much appreciated. :)
P.S.  the designer of this item is stated to be Jitka Forejtova  -  although the aforesaid book comments that................"it is possibly only the centrepiece that was her design".

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
Re: colour data request on Rudolfovahut centre piece
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 03:38:23 PM »
Hi Paul,
I don't believe the number is a reference to colour, rather it is reference to the bowl (13169) , frog (13170) and centerpiece (13171).  On the Sklo union collection site , you can see some other colours, including an olive satin.  :)

Edit:  I just wanted to add that Frank made some very interesting comments regarding the nude figure and her changing shape in this thread.  See his last post. 

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
oh gawd, what a thicky I am  -  ughhhh, I hadn't even considered that might be the case, so thanks for your enlightenment Anik  -  my excuse is that it is :phew:     I wouldn't have instinctively thought of olive, but I guess they come in different colours, and this one does seem nearest to olive.    Unlike my amethyst example, this one is a non-satin finish.
sincere thanks for your links, and will now go away and digest. :-*

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 05:57:06 PM »
Someone else might help enlighten you about the colours.  I still trying to figure out what 'willow' is.  :usd:

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
.....s a tree gel, init. ;)    But seriously, I understand it was a W/Fs. colour introduced sometime in the mid to late 1960's  -  a rather greyish tinted green, and the colour of this piece reminded me of that, although there are no doubt many now shaking their heads and saying    'nothing like it'. :)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
I don't care for repeating whole chunks of previous quotes, normally, in view of the repetitive nature and the space consumed, but since this comes from a source far more knowledgable than me, then on this occasion it is essential.   This is an extract from a contribution by Frank - in June this year - and can be accessed in full via Anik's link below.
Speaking of variation in mould design, and in egard to the centrepiece in question, Frank (who, incidentally, is somewhere in Europe) says:.............

"In some cases the variations can be quite dramatic and could even be deliberate adjustments of a design to suit the changing market taste over a long production period. For example Jitka Forejtova  13171 Nude figure  http://sklo-union-glass.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1 311371 shows at least 3 distinct moulds in the examples appraised. As the size of the breasts change that could well be a deliberate change for the market. It would interesting to find a dating for these type of variations but very hard to achieve without dated photographs. But such aspects do make for an interesting study of both manufacturing and marketing aspects with their impact on the design of the SU glass".

Being rather interested in breast size, I rushed to examine my amethyst and olive 'frogs'  -  but find that I'm disappointed, as on both exampes, these appear to be identical in size (pointy and rather small) -  however, by comparing my amethyst nude with the same colour frog in the link, it is apparent that variation 'seems' to have been towards 'rounding' the breast shape.         These designs are heavily stylized, so presumably this change was not an attempt to make them look realistic  -  but it's just possible that angular shapes were considered too 'deco' in style.

However, other mould changes in repect of this 'frog' are also interesting, and again, making comparisons between my two examples, it can be seen that there is an opposite 'tilt' to the angle of the head.     Other lines seem to remain in the same direction  -  but for some reason the head alone has been shifted.        Not very helpful looking at just two exampls, but out of interest I did look at weights and dimensions etc. of my two pieces, and it appears that bowls and stands are very similar, but again found variation in the height of the nude................the olive example being taller by about 4mm does have a correspondingly slightly heavier weight of 275 gms., compared with 250 gms. of the amethyst piece.      Of course, height variation can be accounted for depending on the extent to which the frog's plinth is ground down - and in the picture you can see how the olive plinth is a little taller.

I don't know whether the price variation (shown in the link) is related to numbers produced, or simply the popularity of certain colours, but there does appear great variation in selling prices.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
If you look at the details of each on the link Anik gave you will see good views of each. If someone wishes to put matching views side-by-side on the GMB using a link to the thumbnails feel free to do - preferably in the other thread.

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:35:38 AM »
Now I've got one as well, in a dark amethyst satin.  She's a truly lovely figure.

Offline Jindra8526

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 07:58:06 AM »
Few colours from my previous collection - the most of pressed stuff I have given to Maxim Velcovsky who hast now the greatest collection of Sklo Union worldvide and his collection is still growing, nowadays aboz 3500 pieces of Sklo Union.

Jindrich
www.cs-sklo.cz

Offline Anik R

• Members
    • Post-war Czech glass
    • Krakow, Poland
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 02:47:53 PM »
Thank you for posting the photo, Jindrich.  It's interesting to see four figures together, each with a slighly different shape and breast size.  Wonderful!

By the way, Mr. Velcovsky is one very lucky young man. :) 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand