No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: pressed satin frosted glass classical bust or figure lamp base - getting nowhere  (Read 4465 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I'm completely stumped on this one.   I have searched as much as possible and cannot find a lead.  Rather irritatingly it is marked but so very faintly that I absolutely cannot work out what the pressed mark on the base says.  There are two marks, I feel the one on top may read Rd No ??????(however it just as well could be me seeing things) therefore I thought this might be British, but no idea about the one on the base which seems to be a name of some sort possibly having the letters MANI somewhere in there?  I've tried various angles, tracing and rubbing it onto paper and nothing forthcoming, but it is definitely marked round the base in perhaps some kind of indented rectangle?

So, I think this is a lampbase, it has a neat, 'always been there' kind of hole in the back of the head and a very neat slot in the back for the wire to run back out and down. There is a small notch further down that the wire would sit against I think.  It is beautifully pressed, faint press marks down the two sides.
If you have any thoughts or leads for me to look at I would much appreciate it  :sun:
Many thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
would it make sense if it had an Rd No on it that ended in a letter?  If so I think the number is 145???K or X perhaps - I think this must date it to around 1880?
 :help:
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
perhaps thyey are related to these two who have also escaped identification for years.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Hi Ivo
Are yours lamps as well? do they have impressed marks anywhere on them, mine are round the base bit, but my base looks as though it is made to slot into another base much like a flower frog with lady type thing.
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
no marks anywhere, but possibly part of a light fixture - or even car mascot. 

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
hmm, I hadn't thought of car mascot!! thanks. So  on my piece, the support strut might go up through the piece and come out at the head and have a knobble on it to screw to the support which rests against the top of the head.  And the notch or groove might be so the strut could rest securely, and the base may sit inside a metal something fixed to the bonnet?
Right ho, off to have another trawl.  EDITED TO ADD - aaah but...I've just had another thought, if the reg no is right it would date to perhaps 1880 in which case would it be a car mascot?  More things to look up   :)
thanks again
m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Luckily the are collectors of mascots who are very knowledgeable and will share what they know.  I just don' t have the link right now.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ivo in relation to your two I found this:  A Webb Corbett bust for Churchill (just in case the link disappears), so maybe Webb Corbett might be a maker to look at?  Just a lead perhaps.

http://www.fieldingsauctioneers.co.uk/resultsLotDetails.asp?lotsID=66779&menuItemOn=2&salesID=103&hasImage=1

I will look up the car mascot peeps and see if they can venture anything further.  The words on the back of mine, now definitely read for sure Rd No, but I cannot get any further than that and I think the last 'numbers' actually appear to be a word or letters, which would make the rd number very short.
The words underneath are totally illegible via any means but may spell the name of the figure I'm guessing
m

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
I always use this site when I'm looking for car mascots:  http://www.mascot-mania.co.uk/   find the Glass section, then have a look at the drop down menu...there's some great glass mascots out there!    :D

I am not a man

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Max that's a fantastic resource - beautiful mascots  :o
I'm not sure mine was a mascot to be honest.  I 'm still leaning towards some sort of lamp thing.
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand