No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Italian not Murano?  (Read 9254 times)

Offline Glassyone

• Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2005, 02:35:42 AM »
Leni, your people are in a different league altogether, what skill! I would never have thought it possible to do portraits in glass like that.

Ivo,  I believe that tumbler is not anything special,  it's 'cute'  though,  Kev's plate is better quality. I found the faces after purchase and thought it interesting enough to ponder on it's origins. Like much of my glass,  it may be put to use and it's form suggests the bathroom . Along with the Nazeing mulberry bucket, within which lurk toothbrushes and toothpaste.
Ruth.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 11:07:28 PM »
Ivo, any chance of a photo of the Barovier-attributed "smiley" cane in your cup? Is it identical to the ones already shown?

And is the "big Murrhine book" the one by Sarpellino (if I've got the name right)? There is a book covering canes and murrhine that I don't have and I am finding it hard to even track one down - although I think I know someone who may have one, or at least, who may know a contact who may have one.
KevinH

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2005, 06:36:50 AM »
http://tinypic.com/e0iedt.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea which book it is - I just remember it was big, expensive, hefty and looked utterly serious

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »
Kev, is this the book you're looking for? http://tinyurl.com/bybhe  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 12:14:38 PM »
Thanks Ivo - Hmm, the face canes are, indeed, the same. This is getting more intriguing.

And thanks, Marcus, for the email pointing me to sources for books covering murrine. Whether or not they will cover the "face canes" discussed (or even if either are the "hefty" one that Ivo mentioned - probably not), I have ordered Venetian Beads, Mosaic Glass and Murrine ... (Giovanni Sarpellon) and also Designs In Miniature ... (Moretti, Gianni and Sarpellon). I am also considering the Murrine E Millfiori ... catalog you mentioned.
KevinH

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2005, 12:26:14 PM »
Thanks, Anne. Yes, I think that's the "hefty" one - with the hefty price (ranging from $185 to $250 via the Amazon sources!). It is this one for which I think a friend may know of a UK source, which may (or may not!) save me shipping costs. I also think I know of somebody with a copy, who may be prepared to do some browsing for me.

More on these "face canes" sometime ... maybe.
KevinH

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Italian not Murano?
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2005, 12:42:15 PM »
Expensive book!  :roll:

Kev, have you looked on http://www.abebooks.co.uk? Put Sarpellon in the Author Name search box and see what comes up. :wink:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Italian not Murano?
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:29:38 PM »
Kev,could you add pictures back directly to the board if possible please?

I've come across this listing on ebay - removed 'because there was an error in the listing' apparently, but I found the photograph that went with it - five face cane beads, two of which were long ones and contained the faces in my plate (will link that in a mo when I find the thread)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/281417975788
The beads look in good shiny condition and appear to contain cut 'lengths' of the face cane rod with the face cane showing at the end, rather than slices of face cane if you see what I mean.

m

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2015, 09:05:53 PM »
My photos (from Reply #8 above) of the plate with face canes was eventually put in GlassGallery:
Full plate
Detail of face canes

KevinH

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2015, 07:00:36 PM »
I've only just seen this.  Thank you and apologies - I hadn't realised it was in there :)
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand