No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Arte Murano ICET Madonna  (Read 3478 times)

Offline CathyG

• Members
Arte Murano ICET Madonna
« on: February 24, 2006, 06:10:30 PM »
Can anyone help me with a value on this Madonna? I have seen them before and any info would be great!

CathyG

Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Arte Murano ICET Madonna
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 11:20:28 AM »
Cathy,

I can't help with a valuation (I work on the pretext that's it worth whatever someone will pay :wink: ) but I assume you're aware ICET is actually a Venezualan company? I believe they do employ former Muranese workers though.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline CathyG

• Members
Arte Murano ICET Madonna
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 04:28:32 PM »
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. After posting this, I did go back and find a thread about ICET but I must confess, I'm still confused. It didn't help that all the pics were gone. The piece was made in Venezuela, but why does the sticker read "Arte Murano"  And to make matters worse for me...I have a vase with the Lavorazione Arte Murano "Made in Italy" that I'm really confused about. Is this a newer piece? It's 12" tall and shaped like a diamond at the bottom.

Cathy

Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Arte Murano ICET Madonna
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »
Hi Cathy,

Arte Murano is a generic term, and 'Lavorazione' is referred to in the 'Labels' thread (see Sticky at top of the forum page). From what  I understand, this is probably Murano, but could still be imported from Eastern Europe or China and resold on Murano.

Because Murano (the island) is identifiable with quality art glass production, the term is often found (and used and abused) around the world. Chalet Glass in Canada, for example, where called Murano Glass in the early 1960s. There are other examples, with ICET being one notable example that they probably justify by originally employing Muranese workers (or is ICET owned by former workers?)
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline CathyG

• Members
Arte Murano ICET Madonna
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 05:45:56 PM »
Interesting....I'm learning. Thanks David... and I did see where Adam said Lavorazione means "workshop".  I think I'm finally getting to understand a little more about Murano labels and I now understand what Arte means LOL, I'm a little slow please be patient with me. I keep going back and reading the label thread, it's always helpful.

Cathy
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
Lots of Blenko!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand