No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Waterford cut vase for dating.  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Waterford cut vase for dating.
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »
quote from Lustrousstone on 21st August................."Good thought. I'll give it a go"..........and what was their response Christine?? :) 

Reference Nigel's reply  -  and I quote from Paul S. yesterday............."although in line with the book's title, there is obviously no coverage of Waterford patterns/designs"..........which I had assumed did explain clearly that I was acknowledging that Republic of Ireland material wouldn't be shown in Hajdamach's book (in view of the title).    Ironically, although the title of Elville's book includes the word British, he does deviate a little across the Irish Sea :)      As for the other authors mentioned, their book titles did not have excluded Eire automatically, although they chose to concentrate a lot on Scandinavia (at that time obviously the darling of the contempary glass fashion world).            As I have commented, these are all very good books, and I wouldn't be without any of them.
I apologize for the error of overlooking the list of 'Designers and Manufacturers' in Stennett-Willson's book  -  obviously I was rushing ;D      However, I would question the suggestion that it is an index in the proper sense (I'm trying to wriggle out of this one ;))  -  and finally, my thanks for reconfirming Franks suggestion that my vase is 1960's vintage.      When I first saw this piece I immediately thought 'Queensbury' - it did seem so like a piece of Webb Corbett initially.    However, glad to have been put right.

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 06:02:56 PM »
........ I was acknowledging that Republic of Ireland material wouldn't be shown in Hajdamach's book

Sorry Paul, I realised that, but I was just making a general comment about books published on British Glass. More bemoaning than chastising :o ;)

I agree, not really a true index by R S-W..................

TTFN, Nigel

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Just come across another Waterford catalogue and this one is a complete range one which I would guess dates to around 1970 and is a very sumptuous production.

Your vase is pattern number '246/30 VASE', made in 3 sizes 6", 8" and 10".

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 04:02:16 PM »
my very grateful thanks for your persistence in searching your catalogues, which has now provided the definitive answer on this attractive vase  -  this example of which is 8" (about 204mm) tall.         I had intended to purchase..... Art Deco to Post Modernism, A Legacy of British Art Deco Glass - some time back, but didn't, and don't now see a copy on Abe Books (my usual source for this sort of thing), and am thinking that copies may well be available from 'Liber Vitreorum Publications' only.    I also still need a copy of 'Nazeing Glass & It's Origins' - so if you have both Nigel, please send me your invoice and I will settle up promptly.   Apologies to the Mods. if this request is in the wrong place. :)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 09:51:36 PM »
'Liber Vitreorum Publications'

Otherwise known as ..................................................................Nigel Benson :o

TTFN, Nigel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand