No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: By *CHANCE* ..... Am I Right?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
By *CHANCE* ..... Am I Right?
« on: October 04, 2011, 01:55:51 AM »
 :hi:

Got this today from a local Auction here they have at the end of the month at the Opp Store.  I am 99.9 % certain that this is Chance Glass handkerchief vase......and proud to say it is my first piece of Chance Glass here, and in this style in which I think Chance Glass is best know for.  It is Mint with no chips or cracks.  The middle in the bottom is a reflection, but there is some wear on the bottom.  So I am pretty happy here that I found this and was the highest (but still low price) bidder on it. 

Won by only .50 cents higher.... :24: :24:

It is purple, and not sure IF Chance glass used a certain name for the purple -- and it has like white lines running up it.  What year were these made??  I am thinking by this color it might be the late 1960's/1970's?  Thanks. 

The purple is Retro, IMHO......and Pip's favorite color......lol

:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: By *CHANCE* ..... Am I Right?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 07:45:40 AM »
 :hiclp: :hiclp: It may be Chance (mid to late 1970s) or Fiesta, Chance's successor (from 1981) for this colour of the Cordon design

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »
Very nice Rose,I'd love to know how it found its way from where I live all the way to you :huh: :huh: ;D ;D

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 03:57:15 AM »
:hiclp: :hiclp: It may be Chance (mid to late 1970s) or Fiesta, Chance's successor (from 1981) for this colour of the Cordon design

Thanks Christine, anyway of knowing?  Any tell-tale signs to look for?

Very nice Rose,I'd love to know how it found its way from where I live all the way to you :huh: :huh: ;D ;D

:24:  Silly question Keith!  It found its way here *by Chance* ......lol.   

Never know what you will find here in Canada.  I remembered seeing these as a Kid here, but they seem to be hard to find now.
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 07:39:46 AM »
A very nice find - very scarce in this size. I managed to pick one up recently in the 7-in size to finally complete a set of three.

It's difficult to date precisely because Chance handed over the designs and goodwill to Fiesta Glass Ltd and continuation of production was virtually seamless. However, I was assured by Tony Cartwright that the 7-in tall models were not carried over from 1981, so this is almost certainly Chance.

and it has like white lines running up it
Nope, that's just the clear glass showing through.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline keith

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 01:58:13 PM »
....by Chance....oh dear,I thought my jokes were bad  ::): :24: :24: :24:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
I don't think Rose's vase in 7in (if it is then her phone is huge), so we don't know. What size is it?

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 04:32:23 PM »
I think it is 7-in high, judging by the irregular folds. My phone (not mobile) is 6¼-in high and is quite modern. The vases also vary in size: just measured one and it's from 6½ to 7¼, so it looks about right.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »
I have a Panasonic phone like Rose's except mine has slightly smaller number buttons and a smaller "ear section" - it is six inches in length (or height when it is stood in its base unit). So I suspect Rose's phone could be close to 7 inch.
KevinH

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:54:10 AM »
Thanks Kev, although this thread is rapidly turning into the merits of phone heights (let's hope it doesn't go down the road of "mine's bigger than your's"  :24:)

With regard to the vase, I can normally tell from a photo whether it's 4- or 5-in OR 7- or 8-in, although sometimes I nail it straight away. The two smallest ones give the appearance of thicker glass than the two taller ones (all vases uses the same thickness of glass), and in this case it screams 7-in to me. Apart from that, the folds are so irregular when compared to the 4-in and 5-in.

Here are two photos of the three sizes of purple Cordon that hopefully explain what I mean. Note the slight colour difference of the 4-in.
David
► Chance Additions ◄

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand