No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ronald Stennett-Willson Vase - Glows Uranium Green - Any Info Plz?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline charliepedro

• Members
Hi Guys,

I've had this vase knocking about since before I became specifically interested in glass and remember the seller telling me it was an RSW design (whose work I had no awareness of at the time - for shame!!) but I don't recall if they said it was for Wedgwood or not. It has no acid stamp as I've seen on his other designs for Wedgwood, e.g. sheringham candle holders etc. Can anyone confirm either way please? Its just shy of 12'' tall, rim diameter 7'', base diameter 5.5'' and weighs 2.1kg and has uranium content glowing reasonably brightly under UV. Hope this vase is of interest to some of you...

Thanks, Charlene

P.S. How is the outer surface texture achieved on this kind of glass? Sorry to ask but I'm in the very early stages of learning....

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Re: Ronald Stennett-Willson Vase - Glows Uranium Green - Any Info Plz?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 02:50:28 PM »
Only textured ones that come to mind are these cylinder vases, the 2nd link is to a good RSW site may get some info there if you click on the vases drop box and click on textured it also shows the moon and snowflake vases.

http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/Vases%20Textured%20Cylinder.html

A link....... http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/index.html

Chris

Offline charliepedro

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
Cheers Chris - this is a great resource now added to my bookmarked sites. I had seen these textured cylinder vases on another site and on looking at the vase in hand I think they appear distinctly different in construction so I'm still unsure if it is an RSW design or for which company it was produced. Any further suggestions/information will be much appreciated  :thup:

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 06:14:49 PM »
Again I don't think this is likely to be uranium. Reasonably brightly is not uranium. Very bright is uranium. Definitely not uranium if it is Wedgwood. Perhaps if it is Wuidart.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 07:40:25 PM »
hello Charlene  -  I notice that you say it glows  -  but don't state what colour it glows.       It must glow green for uranium  -  unfortunately 'glows' can come in several other colours, none of which will be the uranium of which you speak. :)

P.S.   Chris........is that RSW site still active  -  I notice a 2008 date being shown??

Offline charliepedro

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 07:54:30 PM »
Hi P & C,

Apologies for the omission - out of curiosity to your reply Christine, I've just re-checked the level of brightness with my UV torch (with all other lights off) and it does in fact glow very brightly indeed (green) - I think I must have checked it previously with lights on and thought it wasn't glowing particularly brightly but my mistake, it does glow like a beacon! The glass is fairly thin too so perhaps this explains why my torch didn't pick it up very well initially. Hope this is of interest and can perhaps help establish its origins.

Thanks, Charlene

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
Pretty sure Paul that's the last it was updated looking at the biography no note is made of his death......

http://ronaldstennettwillson.com/Biography.html

The Times also did an article......

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/obituaries/article6972579.ece

Died 21st November 2009 aged 94

Chris

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »
thanks Chris, very interesting  -  and appears that this RWS site may indeed have stopped, unless anyone else can shed light.    Apologies to Charlene for sidetracking slightly :)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
Can you show us a picture of the glow. If it doesn't glow brightly with the lights ON, then it's not uranium. A good test is if you can see the glow when you wave your torch around several feet away with the light on (it won't be as bright because less UV reaches the item, but you can't see manganese glow at all unless close up). The only light that hinders the UV glow is very bright sunlight (outside), then it's an inability to see the glow clearly. Sometimes dark green colorant, iridising or an opacifier will inhibit the glow, otherwise it should be very bright.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand