No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large aventurine owl on perch  (Read 3331 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Large aventurine owl on perch
« on: February 25, 2006, 10:23:16 AM »
Who's a pretty boy then?!  :D

This owl on his perch is chock-full of aventurine and has millefiore eyes.  I've searched, but can't find anything else like it anywhere - which is annoying.  I was thinking Seguso of course, but it probably isn't.  

Any ideas anyone?  

He measures 7.5" from top to bottom. and has a snapped off pontil mark (quite sharp!)

I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 06:28:05 PM »
I'd have said definitely Seguso were it not for the eyes, never seen anything like those on a Seguso figure.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 07:24:02 PM »
Paul...I know what you mean about the eyes.  They seem almost out of kilter with the rest of the piece, don't they?

Perhaps Javier can shed some more light....where IS he these days?  :?:  :?
I am not a man

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:19:03 AM »
Hi Max,
Im actually not sure about this one.
I've seen the millefiore eyes on Salviati pieces.
I havent seen it on a Seguso piece that I can recall.... but, all the gold in it certainly makes me wonder. Sorry I dont have a solid answer.

As for me... I've been pretty sick this week so I had not been able to check the site. Even though I live in Florida, we've had temperature changes from the 30's to 80's this past week alone. It was colder than during December, and then went up to the 80's by last Friday. This week was up and down in temperature almost every day as well. So I have a nasty cold from it.  
Thanks for asking!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 11:10:51 AM »
Quote from: "svazzo"
Even though I live in Florida, we've had temperature changes from the 30's to 80's this past week alone. It was colder than during December, and then went up to the 80's by last Friday.

Wow!  Crazy weather man!  No wonder you've become ill.  Get well soon Javier.  xxxx mwah!
I am not a man

Connie

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 11:18:59 AM »
I think this is a fabulous piece.  Isn't the swirl pedestal base indicative of a particular maker (of course, I can't remember which one!).

Javier - I hope you feel better soon.  I know what you mean by extreme temp changes.  We have had the most unusual winter here in upstate NY. From the 50s one day plunging to the single digits with howling 50-60 mph winds and snow all in one day  :shock:  And it hasn't happen just once but 3 times this winter.  Yesterday we had snow, then the wind picked up with it howling all night, windows banging, and worse by cable slapping the side of the house.  I was afraid I would not have hi speed internet when I got up this morning and that would be a true diaster  :lol:

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 12:22:27 PM »
Sounds like the world's weather is really going mad.  We thought we'd finished with winter here, but now apparently have conditions of -10 heading our way from the arctic!   :shock:

I think I'll take the owl up to Sothebys...not that they were any help last time I went there.  :roll:
I am not a man

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 06:08:47 PM »
I can save you a trip Max, I've been at a fair all weekend and so had plenty of time to go through various references and found a couple of similar animals with the same eyes, one of which carries the Barbini signature and both had the same gold infusions and one was on an almost identical base.
Sorry to hear about you health Javier get well soon you're much missed when absent.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 06:41:07 PM »
Thanks Paul, that's really nice of you to think of me.  Thank you for the information.   :D  :D
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand