No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Deacons  (Read 2728 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
John Deacons
« on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:56 AM »
Paperweight by John Deacons - end of day or scramble - cane to top JD 2011 - nice item - is this unique or are there many the same?

Thanks Adam

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
Re: John Deacons
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:06:39 AM »
Hi Adam
John Deacons makes dozens of these end of day scrambled weights as part of his gift range of reasonable priced weights which regualarly appear on Ebay although I have never seen one with a full signature cane like yours, they usually have ordinary JD cane in them so a nice find
Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline daveweight

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 11:18:39 AM »
Hi Adam
I posted a reply to you then went into Ebay and found this paperweight 110749980499 it is very similar to yours with a JD 2011 cane and it has a bid of £18.99. There is another one for £22 without the 2011 cane so hope this helps.
Dave

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 06:59:38 PM »
Hi Adam

I have one which is a composite of many of his date and signature canes. An interesting piece - but far from unique. I think 'dozens', which Dave suggests, may be an understatement. They are nice to have, but are unlikely to be of any great value ever, IMHO.

Mine cost me £7.99 on eBay a couple of years ago. Perhaps the market is hot!

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
This one cost me £17. I bought a few spoke JD weights. Most JD weights are quite cheap. He must produce a lot. I see a lot of new ones on eBay.

One J weight went for £60. What are the best Deacon weights to buy?

Adam

Offline Roger H

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
      Buy one that you really, really like and can just afford. It'll last you a long ,long while. Roger.

Offline tropdevin

• Members
    • Paperweights
    • England
    • The Paperweight People
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »

I think that some of John's nicest weights are the one off J Glass pieces. Some really nice overlays, bouquets and similar. I have a lovely facetted, double overlay bouquet. But as there are few about, and J Glass closed nearly 20 years ago...they are not cheap.

Alan
Alan  (The Paperweight People  https://www.pwts.co.uk)

"There are two rules for ultimate success in life. Number 1: Never tell everything you know."

The comments in this posting reflect the opinion of the author, Alan Thornton, and not that of the owners, administrators or moderators of this board. Comments are copyright Alan Thornton.

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Scotland
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 06:31:35 PM »
Hi

Thanks for all your feedback - I agree, buy what you like - don't get me wrong I have some nice Deacons weights (see below) its just nothing he is doing right now - but I do see some nice things by him - it's just being patient!

Thanks Adam

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand