No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dots in Glass?  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Dots in Glass?
« on: February 25, 2006, 12:58:44 PM »
Hi, Can anyone tell me if these are little bits in the glass, or if they are tiny airbubbles. They are all over the dish, loads of them. Sorry, but Im a glass novice  :oops: . Many thanks, Sarah  :)

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/dottydish.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Dots in Glass?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2006, 02:53:59 PM »
:D:D:D

Hello!

What do they feel like to your fingertips?
Are they rough, would they rip a little fingernail?

Have you tried looking at them with a magnifying glass?

I would suspect airbubbles in the glass, but it could be pitting :?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Dots in Glass?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2006, 03:01:55 PM »
Hiya Chopin-Liszt  :)

I found a magnifying glass and had a closer look, I think they are just loads of tiny air bubbles  :oops: . Dont know why there are so many of them all over it, they are only the size of pin pricks. Ive seen air bubbles in other pieces I have, but none that small and none with so many. It is a heavy little dish though, so perhaps that might have something to do with it? I dont know. Thanks for your help, Sarah  :)

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
Dots in Glass?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 08:39:32 PM »
Tabatha - If they are bubbles and if they are fairly uniformly spread throughout the piece they are what in the industry is called "seed".  This is a defect due to the glass not having been held at a high enough temperature in the furnace for a long enough time for all these bubbles to rise to the surface.  Just as in fizzy drinks, the bigger the bubble the faster it rises.  These very small ones can be the devil to get rid of.

Years ago (and possibly now for all I know) many bottle makers used to like to see a small amount of seed, if they could get away with it, as an indication that they weren't spending more on fuel than they really had to!

Adam D.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tabatha

• Members
Dots in Glass?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 08:46:55 PM »
Thanks Adam  :)

They are all over it, so I guess this is a seedy dish made by cheapskates then  :lol: .  I will pop it into the back of the cupboard (where no one can see  :oops: ). Thanks for the info Adam, Sarah

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand