No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Starry Night meets Chop Suey ??  (Read 7479 times)

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
  • The Best #1 Forum On the Net, right here !!!
Starry Night meets Chop Suey ??
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:34:25 PM »
 :hi: there:

Just bought this item, and pretty sure if is Fratelli Toso.    Kinda  Funky Colors there?  Size is about 11.25 inches x 9.5 inches x 4 inches high.  Weighs a ton.  I forget what was said about the direction that the swirls go, as to the maker?   What was that again?  Also has swirls of aventurine in it.

Thanks, any views on this.  :kissy:

:wsh: to run, and get some  :sm:       :spls:  <...cough, cough....>
:fwr: Rose
"People who live in Glass houses should not throw stones"       ::)

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
Re: Starry Night meets Chop Suey ??
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:08:52 PM »
WooHoo! It is apparenza. Apparenza is like a very colorful starry nights. It is one of my favorite decors by Fratelli Toso. Super nice.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo
http://sites.google.com/site/muranozoo/

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:43 PM »
WooHoo! It is apparenza. Apparenza is like a very colorful starry nights. It is one of my favorite decors by Fratelli Toso. Super nice.

Thanks Anita  :kissy:

I kinda thought it reminded me of starry night, but oh-so colorful!!  It is Bright!!

Now I know this was Fratelli Toso (as it has a mint  :thup: ) label on it.......and there was a *reason* why I did not post the base right away, as there are 2 polished pontils  :o :o on the bottom of this.  Yup,  you heard me right!!  As least the Foil label is MINT

:thud:

I am sure that this was done at the same time, at the factory. I am drawing (maybe) some reasons as to why the base might be this way (just in My own opinion) and not sure if that is possible, or not.  The second one looks like it was made the same time as the other one, IMHO.

What are your views on this?  It is a shocker!!! 

I assume most would say it had a chip or something and was ground out......but I am not so sure of that yet...

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
Rose, the polished recession on the rim looks like where a chip or blemish was polished out to me. Methinks it would have been better to leave the chip. Maybe some other people will have an idea about the second polishing. There would be no reason to have two pontil scars.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:54:28 PM »
Rose, the polished recession on the rim looks like where a chip or blemish was polished out to me. Methinks it would have been better to leave the chip. Maybe some other people will have an idea about the second polishing. There would be no reason to have two pontil scars.

Hi TxSilver

That was the first thing I thought of too.....but there is more.  On two of the opposite edges they have been ground down.  The other two edges are mint.  Funny how that would happen that 2 edges get ground down that are across from each other, but the other edges do not have a scratch at all on them.  Those other 2 edges are Mint from the day it was made.  So that is why I am still drawing a ??? here. 

So a chip on the bottom to be ground out, then 2 opposite sides are ground down some....and the other edges are fine. 

I just am a bit suspect yet.......which I know everyone will think I am Nuts  :ho:

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:49 PM »
Rosie, you bought a damaged piece that should have looked like this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=123491034381525&set=a.123488037715158.18972.122210524509576&type=3&theater. (I have a new computer and don't have my photos in yet. I hope the Facebook photo shows up right. If not, I'll put the picture in later.) The shape looks like what yours would have been.

Your bowl IMO has giveaway value only. I hope you can work things out with the seller.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:22:25 PM »
Hi Anita:

Thanks for the Pic, I see what you mean -- it might be really damaged.  But what I was getting at here too, and WHY I am suspect of the extra grind on the bottom.  As this is even made real Sloppy.  Now the Seller *would* not have anything to do with that.  The reason I state this as I have never seen such sloppy work even on the inside of the bowl by the maker.  I know there was a post somewhere that you too was surprised to see such sloppy work one time.  That is why I thought this might interest you

So my first instincts were it was fixed chips, or cracks plus the extra grind on the bottom.  Now see these folds, and flaps on the inside of the Bowl that the *seller* would have *nothing* to do with that.  That would have been done the day it was made.  There are several like folds in the bowl.  Very sloppy made .....like it was the day after New Years....  :cheers: and one was hung-over.

The also near the bottom when you get the right light -- there is some waves in the bowl too.  These are NOT scratches, as I tried to get as good as pic as I could.  These are right in the glass.  Again, this is something that the *seller* would not/could not have done.

See these other pics --- the colors are nice, but the workmanship is really sloppy.  I have never seen something by FT with so much sloppiness ??? in it.  Was it the first day on the job......I doubt that!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 03:33:04 PM »
You just have a damaged bowl with multiple repairs. One side was probably broken, then the other side handled the same way to achieve balance. If there was something this traumatic happen to it, the inside of the bowl could have also had some shock and had additional shock when the bottom rim was ground out. It is a good bowl to return or set aside. I hope you can return it. I'm sorry that someone sold something that should have been given away.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

Offline antiquerose123

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 03:54:20 PM »
Thanks Anita.....but the things are not cracks on the inside, they are like formed folds.  Like when it was made.

So when I saw these inside folds, I thought "Where was Quality Control on this piece at the Shop?  As I know there is bound to be imperfects in glass, but not something this sloppy on the inside.  IMO, they are from the day it was made.

So I was just wondering with this piece (and it is worth the discussion) that didn't the Murano glass makers have a Quality control?  Would not somebody be checking even the inside of the bowl, or IF this damage happened right then when they were making it (the folds, and the 2 ends) that is it not possible that this could happen.  I know we do not want to think that, but lets face it.  These were people making glass, so is bound to be misfits even for them.  Look at the Coin World that is stamped by machines and they still *ends up in circulation misfit printed coins*.  So that was what I was thinking here.  This might be a misfit that was made at the shop, then was altered to fix it up.......and maybe......just maybe, the second grind on the bottom was put there that this is not sell-able, so they put that extra grind in it -- to make sure it does not get past Quality control.

Maybe then they re-break the glass, and re-use it................or maybe somebody just decided to take it home anyways at as a misfit, and free of Charge.

I know I am stretching things here, but that is why I will keep it anyways....and it made me stop and think that in almost every thing made in the world by man, or machine --- there are bound to be misfits that somehow *still* get into circulation.

Of course, I can NOT say this is one, or this is what happened...................but, is it not possible that this could.

I was on a site the other day too about Coke bottle that had flaws in them, and somehow they managed to get into circulation.....because took it home from work years ago.

So that is what I wanted to bring it up here.  I know we know they are master Glass-makers, but there also has to be misfits made there that (like anything else) somehow got into circulation.

I just wanted members to stop and just think IF this is possible..............and is there any possible misfits out there like in the coin world.  As I just think that sometimes even back then...even if a piece was bad, and could not be sold..........is it not possible a maker, or AN apprentice/labor was given it Free just to have, and take it home....or even for one to practice there polishing skills on (or to play with at work) then took it home.

I am jumping the bridge here a bit -- but I think it worthy to think that "that could also happen."

Is it possible that some glass was never fixed by a Seller, but rather was altered or tried to fix at the glass shop....and then just someone kept it as a freebie, and then through the years (with deaths) it ended up in the market.

Just something worthy to think/discuss about -- as we know there are misfits made with everything, and just have never talked about IF this could happen there.  Far stretch, I know.....but it had to happen a few times....

i be right back, just gotta make some more  :t: here!!

Offline TxSilver

• Members
    • San Marcos Art Glass
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »
Rosie, if a piece of glass is broken in a company like Fratelli Toso, it is tossed out. Higher production companies had several people working and I'm sure their cooling ovens were full. I can't feel the folds in your glass. They may have been there when the bowl was made. Bowls often have imperfections on the inside. Bowls can also have some imperfections created by the heat of grinding. I had a plate with a ground bottom that had a wave with broken filigree over the place where the grounding was done. I would say don't worry about it. If you would like to keep it to enjoy the colors, it is pretty still. Apparenza is a wonderful pattern.
Anita
San Marcos Art Glass
Visit the Murano Zoo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand