No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Red vase that base fluoresces golden yellow i.d?  (Read 667 times)

Offline I love all Glass

• Members
Red vase that base fluoresces golden yellow i.d?
« on: October 07, 2011, 06:46:49 PM »
Hello to all, I bought this red vase because it looks great, has a gold coloured clear base with polished pontil, quality and heavy. So tried my UV on it and lower half of vase fluoresces golden yellow, from outside mainly, so encased I guess. I took picture next to a regular UV piece for perspective. Measures 14.5cm rim by 14cm tall and just over 1kg. I thought maybe old English, no marks to base I can see, thanks for any ideas    Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
Re: Red vase that base fluoresces golden yellow i.d?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 06:52:35 PM »
Sounds like a cadmium sulphide glow that can often happen with red glass. If you search for "cadmium glow" on the GMB "search" you'll find various previous posts where I have explained this.
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 06:19:27 PM »
Yes Cadmium, the vase looks like a Dartington Top Hat vase, probably FT74 as the sizes could vary apparently. What is the diameter at the base Simon?
Example here: https://picasaweb.google.com/Johnmj100/DartingtonGlass#5521233232661521970

Cadmium was used to produce Dartington's flame red, turning the glass from yellow to red with the application of heat (called heat struck). I assume the bases stay yellow as they don't get as hot as the rest (just the mechanics of heating the vase while it is still stuck on the end of the pontil rod).

Example of a Dartington vase that was never heat struck: http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,22159.0.html

John

Offline I love all Glass

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 08:28:13 PM »
Hello John, thank you for great info, diameter of base is 11cm, but not flatterned top rim nearly as much as one in link for Dartington, did they differ in shape that much? Cheers   Simon

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
They were made in two 'sizes' with the diameter at the base either 10 or 11cm. That would make yours a large but heights and also the diameter at the top varied as they were hand formed.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand