No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small vase rose / light yellow with cut decoration  (Read 539 times)

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
Small vase rose / light yellow with cut decoration
« on: October 08, 2011, 11:05:12 AM »
This vase reminded me a little of my Karel Wünsch vase, but not so sure about the colours and the cut motivs...
Height 19.5 cm, rose cut to light yellow, polished base.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Michael

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
Re: Small vase rose / light yellow with cut decoration
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 02:24:47 PM »
Could the original colours perhaps be very faded due to too much direct sunlight? I've read somewhere that coloured overlay vases are particular vulnerable to that - and some colours more than others. Somehow this vase would make more sense to me if the red would be a lot brighter.

The patterns and the technique certainly smell Czech or German to me, 60s-70s.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline rocco

• Members
    • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Astrid, thanks a lot for your answer!

I have no idea if the colours may be faded (have to admit I have never heard of this happening before).
At least the colours look uniform, so I would guess rather not.
The faded look was a thing I liked about this vase :)

Germany may certainly be another possibility...

Michael

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 05:02:00 PM »
Hmmmm weird story, discoloration in CTC. Never heard that before and do not really believe it makes sense.

Offline astrid

• Members
    • Astrid's glass collection on Picasa
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:42:17 PM »
I'm no expert on that sort of thing... I think I remember having seen examples of German vases of the 50s 60s that looked more faded to my eye compared with more deeply coloured examples of the same vase, so I assumed that was possible. Those might have been stained or coated instead of properly encased and cut to clear. I couldn't find the article that I originally read, so I went searching again, and found this thread on a different forum where the problem is discussed.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263238

Conclusion I drew from it is that high quality glass will not lose colour, but some chemicals and cheaper techniques have been used in the past that might produce a faded look glass with a coloured layer.

I agree that the quality and thickness of this particular vase looks to be of a different sort, in which case the resulting colour is as it should be.

Astrid

Have a look at my collection online and see if you can set me straight on my identifications : http://picasaweb.google.nl/102861706167408125672

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
that IS an interesting thread but it does not convince on a technical level. The distinction between stained (as in lacquered) and stained (ruby flash) and flashed is not becoming clear anywhere - so keeping that in reserve  :P

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 01:53:15 AM »
There are changes that can occur to glass due to exposure to UV in sunlight, most well known being sun purpling but the effect is a darkening one. It is not possible for any coloured glass to fade including flashed, which is a layer of glass. Some beads that people think are glass are probably semi-precious stones that can fade.

Coating are a different fish, whilst most of the earlier European ones are enamels that are generally resistant to fading it was common in America to apply cold finishing, including lacquer, using non glass materials and these can be affected by UV, More recently 1970s on, ther has been increased use of synthetic coatings,  initially in packaging where longevity was not required and later in domestic glassware where longevity was not desired by the producers. A lot of these coatings are subject to UV decay of colour and material... also not very dish washer or abrasion friendly. Interestingly as the drive for lower costs of production materials being used today may actually prove more resistant to UV degradation as UV is used to bond them to the glass.

But the fading myths on glass are probably just assumptions based on the fugitive colours found in paints.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand