No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unusual Iestyn Davies paperweight 1 off?  (Read 6052 times)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
Unusual Iestyn Davies paperweight 1 off?
« on: October 11, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Hi,
I recently purchased this Iestyn Davies paperweight at an Antiques Fair. I have collected some of his pieces over the years but have never seen a paperweight by him. It's signed and dated 1989 which may have been during his period at Strathearn.
Has any one else come across one like ths before please? It might be of interest to Frank for his Scotland Glass site or it just might have been made after he left Strathearn whenever that was. Here are some photo's.

Bryn

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Unusual Iestyn Davies paperweight 1 off?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:32 PM »
Iestyn work at Stuarts so it ain't Scottish and of course Stuart's killed weight production. Probably best to mail him directly via his website... blowzone I think...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 10:44:35 PM »
Thanks Frank.
I might just do that. I remember visiting his workshop in Stourbridge about 2001 and was amazed at his gecko sculptures and stunning bowls. Totally different from his early work at Stuart.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 08:46:04 AM »
I'm certainly far more familiar with his pwts which have beasties on them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 10:36:17 AM »
Hi Sue,
Those Gecko pieces are stunning aren't they. I visited the workshop in Stourbridge back in the early days of the new Millennium and saw them being made. There were shelf fulls of them there and also loads of the large geode bowls that I still would love to own. They were out of my price range then and probably still are  ::) :mrgreen:. You can still seen the bowls on his Blowzone website under Vintage. I actually visited Stourbridge to see where Okra Glass was being made and Iestyn was in another part of the building. This paperweight would have been made soon after he left Stuart Strathearn. A less flamboyant piece but still superb in it's own way.

Bryn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 11:14:09 AM »
He certainly used a lot of inspiration from IoWSG, didn't he? My brother has a good collection of ID's work - some I love, other stuff I hate. There is a particularly hideous satinated vase with a "glamorous" fish on it - quite literally with a massive trout pout, in bright pink. I like the multicolored incalmo bowls with "random" lozenges cut into them - I also like the clear vase Michael Harris designed, cut and engraved around 1960, on p.8 of Mark's book, all covered in random lozenges......

I'm not sure what he was doing after he left Stuart Strathearn, or when that was. I had a little perfume bottle with two shades of gold foil inside, at different depths in the glass - it was very tigery, signed and dated '88.  
I imagine this weight of yours was made in similar working circumstances?
When did he set Blowzone up?
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
It would seem to have been sometime around February 1999 as according to the web page http://www.kingswinford.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/org/wordsley/glassmaking.htm many of the previous occupants of the Coalbournhill glassworks in Stourbridge ie  Webb and Corbett had closed down, but the retail section had continued at the Crystal Glass Centre in Amblecote some 300 yards from Coalbournhill. It states "that some studio glass makers named Blowzone had also moved into the Centre and started up a small glass melting furnace" . By the time I visited in around 2002 it was well up and running and Okra Glass's Richard Golding was also using the centre for both production and sales. So where Iestyn Davies was between 1988 and 1999 I have no idea. He was obviously still producing super glass pieces, just like your perfume bottle and my paperweight, but from where? I also don't know whether Iestyn Davies used other retail outlets like Richard, I have never seen any of his items up for sale except very very occasionally in Antique Fairs. I want an Incalmo bowl!!!!

Bryn

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 04:03:38 PM »
Hi again Sue,
Just gleemed some more info on Iestyn. Apparently after leaving Stuart he set up Osiris glass at Broadfield Glass Museum. There is an Osiris Vase on eBay at the moment. Not quite to my taste though.  :phew: My mate John, glassobsessed might like it though.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 04:09:14 PM »
John's my pal too, Bryn!
The ebay bit is not my cup of tea either, but the Broadfield House "Osiris" info. is great!

Ivo  :hi: - your perfume bottle has had it's origins tracked down!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:15:26 PM »
Brilliant Sue! Glad I was able to assist.

Cheers,
Bryn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand