No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby Goofus Glass Candlestick - ID = gold cold painted Portieux or Valérysthal  (Read 5359 times)

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
Hi!  I have this beauty of a candlestick/holder that I believe is Vallerysthal glass.  I understand this pattern has been reproduced by AA Imports, I believe.  I can't see AA imports painting over ruby glass :wink:

First, is it Vallerysthal or reproduction?  If original, Is ruby an unusual color for Vallerysthal?  (I mainly think of opaque glass when I think of Vallerysthal) And also if Vallerysthal, when would it have been made?  Any idea of a pattern name or if it even has/had one?

And I was reading the article "Goofus Glass - That beautiful Old Stuff" (well written and fascinating, I might add) and from what I gather, goofus was mainly an American oddity.  Which brings me to my first question, how did a piece of French glass get "americanised"?
Or is it not goofus?  Or is it not Vallerysthal?  Or was it imported to usa and then goofus painted?  Or was cold-painting in gold also a "european thing"?

Here's the URL http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/7626/marymary0011el.jpg

Mod: Yes, the link above works!

I think my favorite kind of glass is any kind that creates lots of questions for me ~ :D  Thanks for any help or direction ~ Mary

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Vecila

• Members
Ruby Goofus Glass Candlestick - Vallerysthal?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:47:30 PM »
I have a pair of vaseline (canary) candlesticks in this pattern and they are signed on the bottom "Portieux".  I've seen the repros and they are easily identifiable as the mold work is not at all sharp.  I had thought these to be Vallerystahl when I had only one but when I obtained the mate it was clearly marked on the bottom.  Looking at my original stick I could barely make out the mark.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1105

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 09:55:27 PM »
Hi Vecila - Thanks for your response, it's very helpful!  Beautiful pieces you have there.  Are they marked with the whole name Portieux?  I've looked but haven't found any marks - where is it located on yours?  thanks!
mary

Offline Vecila

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 02:49:13 PM »
The marking is on the underneath side of the base near the rim.  Only the word PORTIEUX  is present  though I do know that this company and Vallerystahl have an intertwined history.

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 04:01:49 PM »
Yes, Portieux and Vallerysthal were seperate operations to begin with.  Then the area that Vallerysthal's factory was located in France was annexed by Germany in 1870 and to get around that, they partnered up with Portieux.  I don't understand it all that clearly, but apparently, if partnered with Portieux, Vallerysthal could continue doing business with the French, and both companies profited.  I got this brief history of V-P from Newbound's, Collector's Encyclopedia of Milk Glass, 1998.  

I still don't find PORTIEUX mark anywhere on the stick.  Not even a hint of it.  :cry:   I'm afraid that will make folks suspicious of buying it.  :(  I hope the gold paint will overcome any reservations.  

What I've become most interested in is the origins of goofus glass.  I think I'll start a new topic on that.  :)  Thanks again for your help!

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:40:21 AM »
I have the same dolphin candlestick in clear. It makes no difference if they were produced by Portieux or Valérysthal - items appear in both their catalogues. Both companies were working together closely even before the Franco-Prussian war, but when they found themselves on either side of the border it opened up the German market to Valérysthal.
Cold painting was common for the P&V items, especially over milk glass, but also the basic colour schemes are endless.

Offline uncommonglass

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 04:51:05 PM »
Thank you again Ivo.  I didn't know that was Franco-Prussian War.  Never was any good at history :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand