No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: BCM/Hailglass British made - I found something I would not have believed British  (Read 13141 times)

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
  • British glass 1870-1980
    • http://www.20thcentury-glass.org.uk
Chris said in his first post:

Hi m  it's Hailware as in Halewood and Ackroyd.

No inaccuracies, just a spelling mistake that's been blown into something that's beyond me, since I referred to it as a typo in order to be polite. Then I get a disatribe of links that I wasn't questioning which is preceeded with:
A typo indeed Nigel

Maybe I'm being too damn sensitive.....................

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Gosh Nigel, I'm terribly sorry, my misunderstanding of what you wrote, and I was simply trying to explain that Chris's links elucidated why he had used Hailware instead of Hailglass, which it appeared to me was being corrected in your response:

'I noticed something that hadn't hit me before (apart froma typo):

"Quote
Hi m  it's Hailware as in Halewood and Ackroyd."

Chris, that isn't right IMHO. It quite clearly says Hailglass, which, although from the same stable ain't the same thing as Hailware. Recent sight of adverts by Ackroyd and Best suggests that the two come from seperate eras of the same thing '

My apologies for misunderstanding. :sun:
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Thank you m that is exactly what I meant :sun: and they are exactly the same shade and presumably from the same era but one marked? Hailware and one marked? Hailglass, so hence my confusion.
Nigel you are hard work sometimes Lol and probably far too intelligent for me and quite difficult to 'read' :wsh: keep going over what I have written and honestly for the life of me cannot see a hint that I was suggesting you were being sarcastic in any shape or form.
regards and rest assured I am keeping a good eye out for you on my travels around Yorkshire for anything connected with H&A  
Nigel the 'disatribe' of links were for m really and also to show the 2 lamps one described Hailware and one described Hailglass
A  typo indeed Nigel was just that!!!! in other words I was acknowledging you had spotted the typo
m I thought were spot on with your observation and IMHO said nothing you needed to apologise for and thank you for that.

Chris :sun: :sun:

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Nigel you are hard work sometimes Lol and probably far too intelligent for me and quite difficult to 'read'

Hmmm....looks like my self image needs a bit of re-writing :-[  And, I need to work on my communication skills!

My apologies Chris, and my thanks for your still looking.

Those Deco lamps are great, but note it is the metal that is marked, not the glass. Over the last 9 months several pieces of Art Deco looking metal and glass, under the trade name Hailware, has turned up. Fortunately, all are in the process of being recorded.

Nigel

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
  :sun: all good
I shall continue also to keep a look out for you Nigel
m

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Hi Nigel, really was no need to apologise just need to have a little more patience with your students maybe  :sun:

An interesting looking vase here also, seller said it was marked on the base Hailware British made, wonder how it was marked, have contacted the buyer and asked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hailware-british-made-blue-glass-vase-/120750718282

Chris

Offline nigel benson

• Author
  • Members
Thanks Chris.

The vase is marked with acid etched block upper case writing:    HAILWARE
                                                                                         BRITISH
                                                                                           MADE
You only needed to ask ;) :)

Nigel

Offline chriscooper

• Members
    • Harrogate UK
Thanks Chris.

The vase is marked with acid etched block upper case writing:    HAILWARE
                                                                                         BRITISH
                                                                                           MADE
You only needed to ask ;) :)

Nigel

Think I did, twice Lol
Quite a coincidence.
Chris

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand