No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: More questions - Sorry. Depression Glass?  (Read 3987 times)

Offline Tabatha

• Members
More questions - Sorry. Depression Glass?
« on: February 26, 2006, 06:38:15 PM »
Hi, me again (sorry  :oops: )

I'm trying to get rid of some odd dishes and trying to get them into the right category. Stuck on the first one - its not pressed glass, dont know how old it is etc. One of the categories is Depression Glass, which I have just had a look on the internet to read about it - its says it could be colourful or clear moulded glass produced in the 30's. Well mine is moulded but I dont know about the 30's bit. I could put it in there or in Date-lined Glass (but then theres the age thing again)!? Ive got a couple of ones that arent pressed.

Does anyone know which category is the best to put "I dont know anything about it" glass? How can you tell if its depression glass?

Thanks, Sarah  :oops:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b171/TopsyCat/bowl1.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 07:10:49 PM »
Sarah, it is PRESSED GLASS anyway
IMHO depression glass offer would suggest it is US glass
I dare to judge that it is NOT german
Very often this beautiful board came to a clue by posting what it is NOT  :P
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 07:25:02 PM »
Thanks Pamela  :)

I thought pressed glass had seams down the sides (i've got a lot to learn  :oops: ). So if this dish is pressed glass, then they all could be?  :)  That would make listing them easy  :lol: .

Thanks again Pamela  :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2006, 07:40:52 PM »
If it is high quality pressed glass, it is reheated - fire polished and very hard to see seams
'depression glass' names the era in US depression but also this is pressed
hard to explain for me as a non english speaking person - I am sure someone else here on the board may assist to better understanding  :oops:
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2006, 07:49:32 PM »
Thanks Pamela,  Its all so confusing  :?  I think i'll list them all as pressed and keep my fingers crossed they are  :lol: .

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2006, 08:02:17 PM »
Pressed glass is glass that has been made by the process of hand or machine pressing (rather than "blowing" for example).

Depression glass is one type of pressed glass - it was made in the USA in the Depression era (circa 1930s) and was generally machine pressed on production lines. It is generally found in utilitarian shapes, such as luncheon sets, dinner sets, water sets and stemware - and in pale colors, such as light pink, green and blue. The moulded patterns tend to be light and in low relief. Typical manufacturers were companies such as Jeanette, Anchor Hocking and Federal.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Tabatha

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2006, 08:53:10 PM »
Thanks Glen  :) , Gosh theres such a lot to learn  :cry: . Im gonna pop these ones in as pressed glass with a ?, then the bidders can make up their own minds as to what they are. Thanks for the info, Sarah  :)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 09:43:59 PM »
Glen, thank you for posting this - I always do lack the words and dare of course  too  :oops:  :?
Pamela

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2006, 04:17:59 PM »
Tabatha - pressed glass need not necessarily have joint marks.  Go to the Archives section and look at a piece "Press Moulds" which I did ages ago.  This might help you.  

Adam D.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand