No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Death of John V Sanders (1934 - 2012) + funeral arrangements  (Read 4305 times)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Death of John V Sanders (1934 - 2012) + funeral arrangements
« on: January 11, 2012, 12:29:01 AM »
It is with great sadness that I have to inform the board of the death of John V Sanders.  An email from John's daughter Clair says,

"It is with great regret that I write to inform you that John V. Sanders, passed away peacefully in his sleep in the early hours of Tuesday 10 January 2012.  I am writing to all of Dad's email address contacts to share this information.  He had been ill since suffering a stroke in early August 2011 and his health deteriorated slowly from then.

Dad, who reached the age of 77 only 14 days ago (born 27 December 1934), leaves a widow, Eileen Sanders.  My brother, Richard, who is serving with the British Army in another part of the world, is currently making his way back to the UK.

Funeral arrangements have yet to be made – please reply if you wish to be informed of these by email.

Please feel free to circulate this information to anyone else you believe was also known to Dad."

Although not a member of the board, John will be known to many of us from his role as a founder member of the Friends of Broadfield House and from the campaign to prevent the closure of the museum. It was early January 2009 that I first had contact with John by email, and we exchanged several as we sought ways to raise the awareness of the threat to the museum, and shared exchanges with the then Dudley councillors. John was from a line of glassmakers on his mother's side, and took a great interest and pride in his heritage, and he was generous in sharing his knowledge with me and no doubt others, and his loss will be felt by many. My deepest sympathy goes to his family.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: Death of John V Sanders (1934 - 2012)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 04:50:22 AM »
Janet and I will miss John.   He was always generous with his friendship, and we remember him from our first National fair onwards, always patiently willing to answer my questions.   On a couple of occasions we were fortunate to stand next to him, providing the opportunity for longer conversations.   He was the acknowledged authority on Jack Lloyd.

A lovely gentleman, he will be missed by all who knew him.   Our sympathies to his family and friends.

Bernard and Janet.
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Death of John V Sanders (1934 - 2012)
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 10:48:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing this Bernard.

I always enjoyed conversations with John on the few occasions that I met him. It was a paperweight from the unofficial "Pilkington frigger" range that first drew me to his (& Eileen's) stall at one of the Glass Fairs. I was able to explain why it was not by Paul Ysart and later John often enlightened me on many other points within the general glass collecting field.

One of life's true gentlemen who always made time for people.
KevinH

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Death of John V Sanders (1934 - 2012) + funeral arrangements
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 08:21:21 PM »
An update from Clair, shared with her consent:

"This is an email being sent to anyone who responded to my previous email advising of the sad passing of my father, John V. Sanders last Tuesday morning.  We have been totally overwhelmed by responses and apologise most sincerely that it is not possible, at this time, to respond to each of you individually.  Please know that we really appreciate you taking time to give your own tributes to Dad.  Myself, my brother Richard and our beloved Stepmother Eileen are very appreciative of the kind words and many offers of help and support at this difficult time.

The main purpose of this email is to advise you of details for the funeral, which is to be held on Wednesday 25th January 2012.  A service will be held at 11.30am at St James's Church, Wollaston, Stourbridge, DY8 3PY, followed by a private interment in Stourbridge Cemetery.  Light refreshments will be available afterwards at Stourbridge Rugby Football Club, Bridgnorth Road, Stourton, Stourbridge, DY8 6QZ.

Family flowers only please with donations, if desired, for Help for Heroes.  A memorial page has been set up at the following link, where donations can be made online:
http://www.bmycharity.com/JohnVSanders

For those of you who are that way inclined you will find a Facebook Page, set up in Dad's memory ('Face Ache' as he called it), at the following link:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/John-V-Sanders-RiP/275658402495998

Please feel free to circulate this email to anyone you feel would like to know these funeral arrangements.

Again, many thanks for all your tributes and kind words.

Clair de Groot
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand