No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Allister Malcolm claret jug  (Read 868 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Allister Malcolm claret jug
« on: August 26, 2010, 10:24:43 AM »
 :hi:

My claret jug and a wine goblet.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/Am1.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b227/chopin-liszt/newstuff/Am2.jpg

When I claim to have had a "small bit of input to the design", I really do mean small. The designs in the glass are Allister's, I merely said I wanted a big roundish bowl on the goblet, one suitable for trapping the nose of red wine, and I said I wanted an egg-shaped decanter with the silvered and enamelled ball at the base and a stopper to match. It was Allister who had to make all that actually WORK in the glass.

I think the claret jug is just amazing - it looks like a haughty cockerel!
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 09:30:17 PM »
Fabulous Sue!  Something I'd love to have myself.   :D
I am not a man

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 09:26:02 AM »
Just ask him to make you one Max.  :-*
It's a hard thing to photograph - both the goblet and the jug are quite big, they won't focus using the mini-macro setting, I had to step a bit further back and use just the macro - so details are a bit lost.
Of course, having asked Allister to change the shape of the goblet bowls to accommodate the nose of the wine, Michael simply fills the glass right up.
Then he wonders why he only gets 3 glasses from one bottle. They are wonderful things to use - they may be massive, but Michael says you know you're doing some proper quaffing when you're using them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand